The HR business partner (HRBP) is responsible for servicing the HR needs in the areas supported, is the primary administrator of employee benefits for all employees, and compiles HR data for reporting.
The HRBP serves as a consultant and coach on HR-related matters, anticipates and assesses HR-related needs, and executes solutions in areas such as talent acquisition, onboarding/offboarding, performance and talent management, learning and development, employee and union relations, employee experience and culture, and leave administration. The HRBP forms partnerships across the College, communicates effectively, works collaboratively, and builds trust to support the strategic plan and mission of the College.
1. Creates postings and manages jobs in Applicant Tracking System, trains and guides search committees, provides interview support, and creates job offers. Coordinates onboarding and offboarding activities with the HR Generalist I.
2. Administers all employee benefits plans and provides assistance and guidance to all employees and on leaves of absence for faculty. Coordinates benefits open enrollment and ACA reporting. Conducts benefits-related research.
3. Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough, and objective investigations, as needed.
4. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with HR leader and legal counsel as needed/required.
6. Works closely with leadership and employees to improve engagement, work relationships, build trust and morale, and increase productivity and retention. Conducts and/or attends regular meetings with client group leadership, providing HR guidance and insights as appropriate.
7. Provides guidance and input on and interpretation of HR policy/procedure, bargaining agreement contracts, restructures, and workforce and succession planning.
8. Works with client group to assess and identify onboarding and learning and development needs in collaboration with Culture & Talent Success (CTS).
9. Plans and executes engagement, culture, and diversity activities with CTS.
10. Serves as primary coordinator of departmental data management and/or collects and submits data for regular and ad-hoc HR related reports (e.g., IPEDS, MPED, HLC, surveys.)
11. Leads or participates in HR projects such as HRIS testing, policy/procedure and program development, performance improvement initiatives, etc.
1. To provide the best service to our external and internal customers, all positions at Lake Michigan College require regular and predicable on-site attendance as an essential job functions. Under certain circumstances, the College may consider alternative work arrangements and will do so in compliance with and according to the parameters outlined in the College’s Flexible Scheduling and Remote Work Options policy. 2. Performs other duties as assigned.
Under the limited supervision of the Executive Director, HR, executes HR operations and provides guidance, coaching, and mentorship to assigned client group. Supports strategic priorities set by HR leadership. This role does not have any direct reports, but may provide direction to HR student worker and HR co-workers at times.
Bachelor’s degree and relevant HR experience required. HR degree preferred.
Minimum of 3 years’ experience resolving complex employee relations issues.
Higher education experience strongly preferred.
Working knowledge of multiple HR disciplines, including talent acquisition, compensation, benefits practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and federal and state employment laws.
SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), Professional in HR (PHR), or Senior Professional in HR (SPHR) credential preferred or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
Excellent Microsoft Office skills, with Office 365 and apps a plus.
Experience with data management in ERP, ATS, and other HR systems desired.
Strong interpersonal, organizational, and customer service skills required.
Ability and desire to multitask, adapt, and work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment and to drive change required.