Under the supervision of the Assistant Provost for International Programs, the Director of the English Language Training Institute (ELTI) provides visionary leadership to support specialized areas within the Office of International Programs (OIP) including English language training and short-term intercultural programs. The team consists of full-time administrative staff members, full-time core faculty members, and adjunct instructors. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will:
· Work closely with the Assistant Provost and the ELTI faculty to improve and expand the programs offered through ELTI to serve and meet the needs of international students and internationalization efforts.
· Provide leadership and management of the ELTI Office operations.
· Develop and implement policies and procedures for the ELTI faculty, students and staff, including the institution's data management requirements.
· Coordinate under direction of the PDSO, the regulatory compliance for hosting international students in the ELTI program. Accountability:
As a member of the Office of International Programs s/he is accountable for:
· Manifesting the Mission, Vision and Values of the University
· Initiating programs and services that promote intercultural exchange, knowledge and understanding within and between the U.S domestic and international communities
Minimum Experience / Education:
o Master's Degree in ESL, Applied Linguistics or closely related field o Five years of experience teaching ESL to non-native speakers in a post-secondary educational setting o Demonstrated experience and successful track record of accomplishment in university intensive English program administration and management o Three years of experience in developing ESL curriculum preferably for a variety of language levels o Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including cross-cultural communication competencies o Responsibility for budget projection/management o Supervisory experience for administrative and instructional staff o Familiarity with immigration regulations as they impact IEP enrollments o Recruitment and management experience for international students and instructional staff o Evidence of commitment to the field of international education (demonstrated professional involvement: i.e. publications, presentations, engagement with TESOL, NAFSA or other relevant international education organizations) o Ability to travel within the USA and overseas o Promotion of effective engagement of U.S. domestic and international students through programs and/or classroom instruction.
Preferred Education Skills and Experience:
· Previous experience as a SEVIS Designated School Official and/or Alternate Responsible Officer
· Affiliation with and leadership in NAFSA: Association of International Educators or other relevant international education association
· Successful grant writing and grant administration experience
UNC Charlotte is North Carolina's urban research institution. Our campus is located in the piedmont of North Carolina, just two hours from the mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Ocean. A large public university with a small college feel, more than 27,200 students consider UNC Charlotte’s 1,000-acre campus their home away from home.