Under the supervision of the Deputy Chief Financial Officer (DCFO) or designee, the Senior Accounting Manager is responsible for overseeing the accounting operations of the college.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Establish accounting operation policies, practices and procedures to be followed to achieve departmental/institutional goals and objectives.
2. Establish and maintain measurable performance metrics for levels of Accounting Operations activities.
3. Ensure the completeness and accuracy of accounting transactions and related documents to ensure adherence to institutional regulations, policies and procedures.
4. Review and prepare cash receipt deposits and research and resolve cash receipt related inquiries.
5. Perform monthly reconciliations of general ledger for cash and non-cash accounts.
6. Manage monthly and fiscal year-end close process, including preparation of income statement and balance sheet, account reconciliations and financial statement analysis.
7. Ensure revenue and expenses are recorded accurately in the General Ledger.
8. Assist with year-end financial audit activities and compile assigned audit schedules.
9. Prepare and analyze financial data to ensure accuracy and completeness.
10. Oversee the production and quality of staff work; provide on-the-job guidance, staff training and staff development.
11. Develop staff by managing performance, providing ongoing training, and maintaining strong employee relationships.
12. Spearhead the technology agenda of the department working collaboratively with Information Technology to move and advance the overall technological initiatives of the college.
13. Maintain strict confidentiality and security of Accounting records.
14. Prepare routine, special and ancillary reports as required.
15. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
2. CPA certification.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP, GASB, and Title IV.
4. Minimum of five years' experience, including supervisory experience in similar roles in public higher education (preferably community college) or non-profit organizations.
5. Experience working with external auditors on audited financial statements, single audits, and Form 990 filings.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of college administration, policies and procedures, preferably at the community college level.
7. Current knowledge of and strong hands on experience working with Banner, other Accounting and ERP software as well as Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
8. Leadership experience in managing, mentoring and developing a dynamic team of Accounting professionals.
9. Excellent team work, interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills.
10. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from internal and external customers.
11. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing including ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures manuals.
12. Ability to work in fast pace, agile, multi-cultural environment.
1. Master's Degree in Finance, Business Administration or related area.
2. Demonstrated ability to interpret and transform college regulations into personnel policies and practices.
3. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with external agencies and institutional staff.
Internal Number: 2524
About Essex County College
Essex County College is an open-door public access community college that is committed to providing quality educational programs and life-long learning opportunities at a very affordable cost. The College is open to students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities. We take pride in the richness of our diversity and our nurturing atmosphere, which encourages students who might not otherwise aspire to higher education to enroll and excel.