To provide focused, quality care for a variety of adult medicine & surgical patients requiring acute nursing care for 8-48 hours. Included among the patient populations serviced by these units are post-procedural patients and others who will require close observation, assessment and teaching.
To work as a nurse member of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team in a busy outpatient setting.
Assists with diagnostic/therapeautic procedures as necessary.
Provide patient and family education such as specific to procedure, diagnosis and how to care for self at home.
• Accountable for the management of post op patients and medical patients.
• Utilizes critical thinking skills to recognize and solve patient problems.
• Utilizes the nursing process and nursing standards to prevent or manage actual/potential patient problems related to their disease and /or treatment.
• Identifies patient /family learning needs and ensures that they are met.
• Serves as a patient advocate. Assists with care coordination between multiple departments
• Able to prioritize urgent surgical or medical issues
• Able to full fill the charge nurse role as well as coordinate vital unit operational functions
Communication and Respect:
• Maintains a highly professional and positive attitude regardless of workload and stress level.
• Inputs, retrieves and interprets data from multiple manual and computer based information systems.
• Exhibits professional and verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
• Able to delegate effectively and follow through appropriately and efficiently.
• Utilizes time in an efficient manner by completing assigned duties.
• Performs procedures in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
• Completes all other operational duties as assigned.
• Implement change to achieve team goals.
• Seeks opportunities to meet individual objectives identified on the Professional Development Model.
• Uses organizational skills to assure that safe, efficient care to the patient.
• Uses organizational skills to assure continuity of care in collaboration with other disciplines through appropriated planning, education and coordination of services.
• Delegates to other health care team members according to the Nurse Practice Act.
• Collaborates with medical staff to facilitate and optimize the care of the patient.
Research and Quality Improvement:
• Acts on behalf of patients and family to ensure care that is safe and appropriate with consideration for values, diversity and human rights.
• Participates in nursing and medical research and facilitates transfer of new knowledge to patient care.
• Familiarity with a variety of surgical and procedural procedures, medication, and what is current in literature
• Participates in the Quality Improvement Process.
Current license to practice nursing in Michigan is required.
One (1) year of recent medical-surgical RN experience in an acure care hospital setting
NOTE: In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment. RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants): You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
BSN preferred. Ability to effectively communicated with patients, families and members of the health care team.
Salary & Nursing Framework Level: This UMPNC RN posting is posted as Nursing Framework LEVEL C. Actual Nursing Framework LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire. Nursing Framework levels range from Level A to Level F.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Hours/Week : 24 hours (0.6)
Shift/Hours: 8hr Nights; two (2) out of four (4) weekends per month. *Must have flexibility with schedule
Location: University Hospital- Surgical Short Stay Unit
* Note: The SSU unit operates 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
All new employees will be expected to float to a designated unit(s) in times of low census.
This is a multi-unit RN position, which involves staffing assignments on multiple units, per the agreement with UMPNC, Section H, page 55, Multi-Unit Positions.
Units for this position include Surgical Short Stay Unit and 8A Acute Care Oncology Unit. The home unit will be the Surgical Short Stay; holidays and PTO will be determined from the home unit.
The RN can be scheduled on both units, based on the unit's staffing needs and will be expected to staff on either unit, as needed.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 201131
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.