1. Provide family-centered care to patients of all ages seen in the Brighton Center for Specialty Care. Primary responsibilities will be in the Adult and Pediatric Specialty Suites.
2. Assist medical providers by drawing up and labeling injectable medications; gather topical medications and supplies for in-office treatments; assist during procedures including preparation of sterile fields; provide wound care instructions and removal of sutures/ staples at follow-up appointments; provide in-office treatments such as application of chemo wraps/ Unna boot dressings as well as other treatments as delegated by the Registered Nurse, Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
3. Provide care to unscheduled walk-in patients returning to clinic; notify RN, physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner of urgent medical issues according to established criteria..
4. Work closely with RN/MA/ support staff to ensure efficient clinic operations.
5. In collaboration with RN, Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner, manage and act upon in-basket folders including appointment requests, prescription refills, patient portal messages and biopsy/ lab results.
6. Assist patients with scheduling referrals.
7. In collaboration with medical providers, assist with patient and family education.
8. Assist with completion of insurance paperwork such as prior authorizations for prescription medications.
Candidate will be required to protect patient privacy, provide a secure, comfortable, and welcoming clinical environment. Participate in the development of clinic goals and objectives by attending staff meetings and in-service programs for the medical staff, attend appropriate continuing education, staff development programs, as well as Quality Improvement initiatives to support implementation of change. Adhere to the hospital’s safety guidelines, Joint Commission standards, polices, and practices through education of nursing staff and other members of the health care team, help ensure compliance with all such safety-related policies.
Expectations of the position
The selected individual must have excellent attendance.
Individual must exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
Must also adhere to a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; and have a demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population.
****Candidate should be an excellent communicator; be an active team player with the ability to work independently; possess strong organization and prioritization skills; have the ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment; have proficiency using and documenting in an electronic medical record; and have demonstrated problem solving skills
Graduation from an accredited School of Practical Nursing
Current license as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Michigan.
NOTE: In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
One (1) or more years experience as a LPN, working in an ambulatory care setting
Experience and familiarity with an electronic medical record, MIChart/EPIC/EMR preferred
Knowledge of University policies and procedures
Willing to adapt/embrace change, and learn new technology
For questions on this position, or if you need assistance in applying, please contact Nurse Recruitment and Retention, 734-936-5183 or NurseRecruit_UMHS@med.umich.edu.
All nursing positions can be found on www.UMnursing.org
Hours per week: Full time, 40hrs per week.
Shift/ Days/ Hours: Flexibility in scheduling is required. Variable day shift; Monday –Friday; 8 hour shifts with variable start times. May include evenings or weekends based on clinic needs and future expansion.
Location: Brighton Center for Specialty Care Clinics
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 201071
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.