Job no: 500283 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 191001 - Northern Gulf Institute Location: Hancock County Categories: Professional Position Open Date: Jun 22 2020
Processing of video and imagery data from NOAA research and monitoring surveys. Providing increased public access (discovery and access) to image and video data from a wide range of camera systems. Development of new web or cloud-based applications for improved accessibility to the video and image data. Data stewardship and archival of video and imagery data. More information about the challenges associated with managing this video data along with findings from a similar study can be found at https://service.ncddc.noaa.gov/rdn/www/media/documents/oer/VDMMIProjectDocumention_FINAL_Dec2016.pdf
* Develop new applications for discovery and access of video and imagery data collected by NOAA and their partners. * Perform data stewardship activities, including metadata generation, standardization, quality control, and archival for video and imagery data. * Provide written documentation of methods developed for data management. * Develop standardized protocols for video and imagery processing and stewardship that can be broadly applied to other video and imagery data collections.
The position will be located at the Mississippi State University Science and Technology Center at the Stennis Space Center, MS. Mississippi State University is the institutional lead for a Cooperative Institute (The Northern Gulf Institute) that works in collaboration with NOAA's National Centers For Environmental Information (NCEI) and the position will include frequent interactions with NCEI personnel.
* Ability to receive Department of Commerce moderate risk clearance. * B.S. in Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Marine Sciences or related field.
1. Beginning with a Bachelors degree: A professional (support/service) employee with a bachelors can begin work at Associate I; To begin at Associate II, one must meet the above requirements, have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience and the equivalent to a masters degree; To begin at Associate III, one must meet the above requirements, have a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience and the equivalent to a masters degree.
2. Beginning with a Masters degree: A professional (support/service) employee with a masters degree and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience and demonstrated competency can begin work at Associate II; To begin at Associate III, one must have a masters degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience; To begin at Senior Associate, one must have a masters degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience.
3. Beginning with a Doctoral degree: A professional (support/service) employee with a doctorate degree with 2 years of relevant experience and demonstrated competence can begin work at Associate III; To begin at the Senior Associate, one must have a doctorate degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Existing Department of Commerce moderate risk clearance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Processing and management of video and imagery data - Proficiency with GIS, preferably with ESRI, ArcPro and ArcGIS Online software - Development of online applications and services with ArcGIS - Scripting knowledge - Management of large collections of other environmental data - Metadata creation and archiving - Ability to work in Mac, Windows and Linux environments - Communication and customer service skills - Ability to write professional reports and making oral presentations.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on the requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
For additional information, contact Dr. Steve Ashby (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 500283
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/