As part of the curriculum learners must practice Ob/GYN examination skills. Gynecological Teaching Associates (GTAs) are individuals who are specially trained to utilize their own body as a teaching tool allowing learners to practice pelvic, rectal and breast / chest examination techniques in a supportive, non-threatening environment. They also address the communication skills needed to provide a comfortable exam, in a standardized manner.
There are 4 temporary positions available. Your application to this position will be considered for all 4 positions.
1. Allow students to learn proper technique for performing the breast / chest exam, including inspection and palpation. GTAs will guide the student through the learning process while each learner performs the breast / chest exam on the GTAs body.
2. Allow students to learn proper technique for performing the pelvic exam, including external and internal inspection and palpation. Gynecological exam procedures to include palpation for lymph nodes, vaginal speculum exam, bi-manual exam, recto-vaginal exam. GTAs will guide the student through the learning process while each learner performs the pelvic exam on the GTA body.
3.Provide learners feedback on proper integrated technique for sensitive interactive communication and relaxation before, during, and after the physical examination.
4. Provide support and feedback to learners, to maximize the learning experience and build learner confidence.
5.Deliver feedback to learners in a constructive fashion.
6.Participate in small group demonstrations of the exam, as required.
7. Maintain standardized instructional curriculum and teaching format.
8. Assist in the training and development of other GTAs, as needed.
9. Note: Teaching may be performed with individual learners or small groups of learners (no more than 5). Instructional formats may include independent teaching or partnered teaching with a clinical preceptor or other GTA.
Appropriate medical suitability for participation in multiple well-breast and well-pelvic physical examinations during a single day
An appreciation for the importance of regular and comprehensive well-woman exams. A commitment to the advancement of womens health and sensitive patient-centered healthcare
Comfortable with ones own body and sexuality
A high degree of professionalism and credibility
Ability to employ ones own body as a tool of instruction
Ability to establish rapport with learners and to reduce learner anxiety
Must be highly dependable and be able to honor scheduled commitments (repeated tardiness or cancellations may lead to not being offered future labs)
Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English
Ability to send and receive emails
Will notify the program of any change in their health that might result in inability to act as a GTA without risk
Ability to adapt to changes in work environment and scheduling
Demonstrate above average verbal communication skills
Models must be familiar with and comfortable with the specific examination procedures taught in the labs that they work
Prior experience as a GTA in another health program is beneficial but not required.
Please note that this is a 0.0 FTE, temporaryposition.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume with your application.
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the state's only health and research university, OHSU brings together patient care, research, education of the next generation of health care providers and scientists and community service to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians.The university is a conduit for learning for more than 2,800 students, providing training to interns, residents and fellows in postgraduate medical and research. It is the only place in Oregon that grants doctoral degrees in medicine, dentistry and nursing. OHSU cares for more than 251,000 patients each year from around the region and takes a leadership role in contributing to solutions involving the health of the state and the nation, such as health care access and transparency, ethics and workforce shortage. Beyond providing critical health care services, quality education and cutting-edge research, OHSU also is a key economic and social force in the Northwest. With an annual operating budget of $2.06 billion and more than 14,000 employees, OHSU is Portland?s largest employer. Its size contributes to its ability to provide... many services and community support activities not found anywhere else in Oregon. For more information visit http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/index.cfm