As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The University of Washington’s Finance Readiness Program has an outstanding opportunity for a Business Analyst Lead to provide a key role in the planning and implementation of an enterprise-wide financial system and modernization of related business processes. The Finance Readiness Program is a collaborative partner to the broader UW Finance Transformation program. UWFT is a multi-year effort to transform the UW’s existing financial processes through business process redesign and the replacement of legacy systems with modern technology. This position will be part of the FRP collaborative business partner team responsible for ensuring that UW’s central finance division is operationally ready to execute new processes, policies and procedures with excellence post “go live”.
The purpose of this position is to lead the effort to analyze, measure, design, depict, and present solutions to technical systems as it relates to the remediation and retirement of those systems. This position is responsible for navigating the wealth of data and turning it into actionable and insightful information for the University. The Business Analyst Lead will work directly with University Department/unit leaders providing strategic consultation in the development, analysis, interpretation and management of a variety of complex internal and external data sources as well as business process areas. The incumbent draws on expertise in data collection methodologies to support subsequent data analysis, and finance processes and statistics; prepares charts and graphs; applies appropriate statistical tests; provides analytical commentary; and educates analytical concepts in an understandable and actionable manner. The Business Analyst Lead operates under minimum supervision and performs duties with broad latitude for exercising independent judgment.
This position also supervises and leads a team of other Business Analysts that provide the same level of analysis and support to a team of Project Managers and Developers.
Duties & Requirements:
• Lead investigation and analysis of financial and management system landscapes and architecture • Design data collection instruments that effectively obtain the data necessary to support identified analytical objectives • Elicit system and user requirements using interviews, document analysis, surveys and functional workgroups • Develop guidelines for integrations and test scripts that represent future state process transformation in support of system selection activities • Establish, implement and promote effective requirements gathering methodology, documentation and management practices. • Capture, evaluate, prioritize and understand business needs and translate them into business process and system requirements. • Organize and synthesize large amounts of information provided by stakeholders and develop relevant business analysis artifacts, such as use cases, as is and to be process flows • Understand and document complex business processes, roles, business rules, policies and workflows related to current and future state financial processes • Analyze business problems and develop solutions; identify and assess alternatives; develop business cases and proposals that support decision making among a diverse set of process partners. • Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources and reconcile conflicts. • Assess benefits to be derived from systems improvements and quantify impact to business units.
Project Management and Leadership (25%):
• Collaborate and partner with multiple stakeholders across the organization including project team members • Work effectively in a large team environment and effectively learn and apply program methods and approaches. • Lead process transformation teams focused on documenting current state and envisioning future state for major institutional end to end financial processes • Communicate complex processes, problems, and solutions in a simple, compelling, accurate, and highly visual manner • Work independently to manage key components of the project—includes defining tasks, managing the work, and being accountable for the deliverables of assigned components such as the total cost of ownership. • Use independent judgement to determine appropriate escalation and resolution of issues within program structure. • Work with all levels of management to critically evaluate and communicate business issues/risks with conviction to campus clients and team members • Meet project deadlines to full completion • Lead meetings and/or design sessions to validate, prioritize, and document requirements • Lead presentations to user groups and key stakeholders • Work directly with the project manager(s) to track time, schedule, budgets and compile reports as needed for quality assurance and executive review.
Leadership and Other Responsibilities (10%):
• Supervise a team of business analysts including daily oversight and direction, providing feedback and coaching, etc. • Serve as critical liaison between business, technical, program and support teams • Operate effectively in a matrixed environment • Serve as liaison with the vendor BA resources and maintain project standards and consistency across the implementation team. • Conduct ad-hoc analysis for project tea.m
Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration or other related area and six years of experience doing progressively more complex business and financial analysis within a project or program environment such as scope definition, requirements gathering, business process re-engineering, etc. • Significant understanding of financial terms, business processes, and financial reporting. • Experience with system implementation deliverables and financial analysis, including fit-gap analysis, total cost of ownership, benefits analysis, and business process improvement • Self-starter and able to manage multiple priorities and tasks in a dynamic environment. • Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities. • Advanced ability to develop efficient and effective analytic methodologies and approaches to generate value, address a broad range of operational and performance issues, execute the analysis in a timely, accurate and reliable manner, communicate findings clearly and concisely to diverse business leaders, key contributors and stakeholders. • Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills • Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team in a cooperative effort. • Ability to deal with trade-offs, conflict, and change management in a collaborative and positive manner • Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Expertise with SharePoint (or similar project management tools), spreadsheet, word processing and presentation applications • Experience with a major audit, accounting or consulting firm • Experience in a large university, large medical center, or other large complex enterprise • Knowledge and experience developing/implementing enterprise level software systems in support of administrative or operational needs • Experience dealing with organizational change management • Demonstrated success in facilitating work groups and ability to develop consensus • Experience in a lead business analyst role or as key point of contact. • Experience with higher education financial and/or budget processes
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.