The University of Notre Dame (ND.jobs) is accepting applications for a Grotto Caretaker(s) (Part-time, Temporary).
Applications will be accepted until 6/25/2021.
The Grotto Caretaker(s) is responsible for the day to day organization and cleaning of the Grotto, creating an organized, clean and safe environment for guests. While working in or around the Grotto, the caretaker is to maintain a respectful and quiet demeanor. In addition the Grotto Caretaker is responsible to communicate suggestions or concerns on a regular basis to his or her supervisor. This is a part-time temporary position.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Daily the Grotto racks and used candle bins should be cleared of spent candles by boxing those candles that have burnt to completion and stacking them on pallets for recycle and storing them at Corby Hall.
- Daily the sand boxes should be cleaned and stocked with wooden tapers. Specifically, the usable tapers in the bins located on the North side of the Grotto should be transferred to the bin located on the South side of the Grotto. The remaining wood taper stubs should be removed and thrown away and the sand sifted to remove the ashes from the sandboxes and thrown away.
- Daily the candle bins should be restocked with new candles.
- When necessary the candle racks and bins should be cleaned of wax, dust, and debris by scraping, wiping and sweeping.
- Daily the area within the Grotto should be swept or shoveled; removing dust, debris, snow, ice, and leaves.
- Daily the Grotto candle storage building should be swept, cleaned and organized.
- Daily all items left at the Grotto by visitors should be removed and disposed of properly.
- The Grotto Caretaker is required to work on all University of Notre Dame home football weekends following the Grotto home football weekend procedures.
- The Grotto Caretaker will coordinate with and work with a second Grotto Caretaker to cover sick, vacation, and other days missed.
Minimum Qualifications: Able to follow oral and written directions. Ability to interact and communicate courteously with coworkers and visitors. Availability during weekends, especially home football weekends. Must be able to lift 50 pounds and work in all weather conditions. Frequent stooping, reaching and climbing.
Preferred Qualifications: High school graduate or equivalent. Experience preferred but not required; will train.
ABOUT NOTRE DAME: The University of Notre Dame, founded in 1842 by Rev. Edward F. Sorin, C.S.C., of the Congregation of Holy Cross, is an independent, national Catholic university located in Notre Dame, Ind. For the fifth consecutive year, the University of Notre Dame has received Honor Roll distinctions as one of the top 10 higher education workplaces in the country in the Chronicle of Higher Education's annual 'Great Colleges to Work For' survey...and we are proud of it!
This appointment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Applicants will be asked to identify all felony convictions and/or pending felony charges. Felony convictions do not automatically bar an individual from employment. Each case will be examined separately to determine the appropriateness of employment in the particular position. Failure to be forthcoming or dishonesty with respect to felony disclosures can result in the disqualification of a candidate. The full procedure can be viewed at https://facultyhandbook.nd.edu/?id=link-73597.
Equal Opportunity Employment StatementThe University of Notre Dame seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administration. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates and those candidates attracted to a university with a Catholic identity. Moreover, Notre Dame prohibits discrimination against veterans or disabled qualified individuals, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors to employ and advance veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a).
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please apply online at http://ND.jobs to Job # S21472. For additional information about working at the University of Notre Dame and various benefits available to employees, please visit http://hr.nd.edu/why-nd. The University of Notre Dame supports the needs of dual career couples and has a Dual Career Assistance Program in place to assist relocating spouses and significant others with their job search.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The University of Notre Dame is a Catholic academic community of higher learning, animated from its origins by the Congregation of Holy Cross. The University is dedicated to the pursuit and sharing of truth for its own sake. As a Catholic university, one of its distinctive goals is to provide a forum where, through free inquiry and open discussion, the various lines of Catholic thought may intersect with all the forms of knowledge found in the arts, sciences, professions, and every other area of human scholarship and creativity.The University prides itself on being an environment of teaching and learning that fosters the development in its students of those disciplined habits of mind, body, and spirit that characterize educated, skilled, and free human beings. In addition, the University seeks to cultivate in its students not only an appreciation for the great achievements of human beings but also a disciplined sensibility to the poverty, injustice and oppression that burden the lives of so many. The aim is to create a sense of human solidarity and concern for the common good that will bear fruit as learning becomes service to justice.Notre Dame also has a responsibility to advance... knowledge in a search for truth through original inquiry and publication. This responsibility engages the faculty and students in all areas of the University, but particularly in graduate and professional education and research. The University is committed to constructive and critical engagement with the whole of human culture.