Responsible for the total operation of multiple residence hall areas. Duties include: supervision, training and evaluation of student staff; providing developmental opportunities for students through programming; enforcing university policy; additional responsibilities within the Office of Residence Life and Dean of Students department. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Gryphon (student staff members) supervision and development • Provide direct supervision to a team of Gryphons and Head Gryphons • Facilitate weekly staff meetings on Tuesday nights • Conduct weekly one-on-one supervisory conversations with Head Gryphons and bi-weekly one-on-ones with Gryphons • Monitor Gryphon performance to provide continuous development, implementing progressive discipline as needed and evaluating Gryphons each semester • Support area Head Gryphons in their advisement of residence hall councils • Maintain a presence in the residential area
2. Community engagement and Lehigh’s student life curriculum (bLUeprint) • Oversee the implementation and refinement of a variety of educational and community development strategies to foster residents’ continued engagement with bLUeprint • Assess learning goals and outcomes of the curriculum strategies in tandem with bLUeprint’s five foundations for student success • Oversee continued training and development to further Gryphons’ understanding of bLUeprint strategies • Provide leadership in the continued development and execution of theme community programs within the residential area, including collaboration with Faculty Fellows and Community Coordinators • Maintain visibility within the residential community and attend Gryphon and hall council programs and provide program feedback for continuous improvement • Execute financial stewardship over area budget
3. Community expectations, resident support and crisis management • Identify, support and refer students who exhibit personal, social, academic and/or behavioral problems to appropriate campus offices • Monitor submission and follow-up on incident reports from residential area; provide feedback and coaching to Gryphons on incident response and documentation • Serve as an administrative hearing officer in support of The Office of Student Conduct and Community Expectations processes • Manage assigned cases in a timely manner within the case management system • Meet with students to resolve roommate conflicts and community living concerns • Serve on the Assistant Director duty rotation with other Assistant Directors, responding to crises and engaging appropriate campus services as needed. • Communicate with family members and/or guardians as needed in accordance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) guidelines • Support the implementation of Lehigh's Principles of our Equitable Community, responding as needed with community interventions • Additional professional development opportunities are also available, such as serve on the University Committee on Discipline, as well as becoming a Gender Violence Education and Support Advocate
4. Residence Life committees, special projects, strategic planning and Dean of Students involvement • Assist with the implementation of Gryphon training and ongoing professional development programs for Gryphons throughout the year • Assist with Gryphon recruitment and selection processes • Provide leadership on department projects as assigned • Participate in Residence Life strategic planning and assessment efforts throughout the year • Actively participate in professional development opportunities and share insights and learning to inform Residence Life practices and procedures • Participate in Dean of Students committees, cross-functional teams, collateral assignments and attend all Dean of Students staff meetings • Attend University, Division of Student Affairs and departmental functions throughout the academic year to represent Residence Life and support campus partner offices • Assume other duties and responsibilities as needed by the department
5. Facilities management • Evaluate condition of residence halls, submit and follow-up with maintenance requests to ensure timely response • Monitor residence hall damages and coordinate follow-up with appropriate campus offices • Conduct regular building walk-throughs to assess building needs and areas of concern • Supervise and assist Gryphons in opening and closing of residential buildings, including student check-in and check-out procedures • Monitor student room assignments and complete room change and vacancy paperwork • Responsible for temporary access card and master key security for residential area and ensure Gryphons follow appropriate policies • Coordinate regular room safety inspections throughout the year in partnership with Housing Services • Manage lounge reservation requests for designated residential areas as needed
Position Number: S86150
This is a live in position
Will work 48 weeks of 52 weeks per year with four weeks off annually each summer.
Will often be required to talk, see, sit, stand, walk, use hands to touch, handle or feel, pull or push, lift up to 25 pounds, and work in a typical office environment
This position is expected to partially work remote while the campus remains in a limited capacity due to COVID-19; in the future it is expected that this position will be staffed on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Master's Degree in Higher Education, Counseling or related field; Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
One to three years related work experience
Supervisory experience preferred
Solid analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and a high level of customer service preferred
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Excellent organizational skills, time management and sound judgment
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499517
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.