Why Work at BNL? Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation's future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Organizational Overview The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provide support for purchasing, material, equipment, and supply operations and programs for Brookhaven National Laboratory Procurement and Property Management (PPM) Division.
PPM provide customers with timely, cost effective procurement and property management services integrated with and supporting
the Laboratory's science, technology and cleanup missions in accordance with the prime contract and customer expectations.
The Procurement and Property Management Division has an opening for a Contracts Administrator (A-9) or Sr Contracts Specialist (A-8)** with experience in Construction. Pursuant to the provisions outlined in the DOE prime contract as well as internal Procurement Operations Manual and Standard Work Instructions and under minimal supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for the procurement of a variety of construction services through various contract types in a high volume environment. The incumbent will also be responsible for contract administration functions including monitoring of progress and milestones, receipt of deliverables and invoice approval in coordination with the contract administrative representative and the contractors. Responsibilities shall also include identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement.
**SPECIAL NOTE: Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. **
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Conferring with end-users on the products or services needed and related issues
* Setting up RFPs and RFQs in compliance with existing standard operating procedures and governmental (DOE) regulations
* Review and assist in the preparation of Statements of Work and Specification documents
* Negotiating the terms and conditions of the purchase; Negotiating final prices with suppliers; Securing approval of the final purchase as required; Approving purchases within established signature authority
* Ensuring that all purchases are in compliance with existing laws, such as the Service Contract Act and the Buy American Act
* Reviewing and approving invoices over $250k as per existing purchase orders or contracts; close out contracts by verifying the receipt and placement of the purchased goods or services and the receipt of payment with various members of the procurement team
* Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* A bachelor's degree in a business or engineering discipline
* A minimum of ten (10) years, full-time, contemporary, directly related experience
* The successful candidate must possess a demonstrated ability to deal with project deadlines and risk significant procurements
* Thorough knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
* Familiarity with the Service Act, Davis Bacon Act, EEO Compliance, Advance Notifications, and Justifications for Non-Competitive Procurements, Buy American Act, Small Business Subcontracting Business Plans, Certificates of Cost and Data as well as standard and specialized terms and condition.
* Candidate must be well versed and have an in-depth understanding of all principles of the procurement process in a government environment from inception of a requirement to the close out of the file, including but not limited to:
* creation of the solicitation (RFQ/RFP)
* proposal evaluations and recommendations
* cost and price justification/analysis, negotiations, drafting of contracts, and modifications/amendments along with written documented recommendation for award
* evaluating prospective Offeror quotes, bids, and proposals
* Candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful, and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work
* Must be able to work within a scientific facility under stringent timelines to meet the laboratories needs
* Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
* Master's degree in business
* Certified Procurement Professional (CPP) or similar certification in government procurement practices
* Teaming with legal counsel, project managers, engineers, cost estimators and quality assurance personnel in a scientific or high-tech environment is preferred
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Internal Number: 2645
About Brookhaven National Laboratory
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.