Our Mission - Campus Facility Services (CFS) - People serving the campus community and caring for the physical environment in support of the IUPUI mission.
Our Vision - Earning customer trust through caring, connected, and competent service professionals.
The IUPUI Office of Campus Facility Services (CFS) is seeking an HVAC Mechanic.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs, maintains, and repairs heating, ventilating, air conditioning and steam distribution equipment and systems. Replaces, repairs or rebuilds, and adjusts valves, piping, steam traps, steam pipes, air dryers and compressors, convectors, and humidifiers. Cleans air handling units, checks fan/blower CFM, checks temperature of bearings, tests motors for amperage, voltage, and RPMs. Installs and repairs thermostats, sensors, controls (DDC), and motors. Wires components to electrical power source.
- Utilizes various diagnostic tools and equipment to inspect and test controls and systems and to locate malfunctions.
- Performs preventive maintenance to HVAC-related equipment. Changes belts and filters, grease motors, visually check compressors, pumps and other HVAC components. Cleans and lubricates shafts, bearings, gears and other parts of machinery. Rods out/cleans heat exchangers andtube bundles. Services forced air furnaces. Cuts, bends, threads, and connects pipe to functional components and water, power, or refrigeration system. Brazes or solders parts to repair defective joints and leaks. Mounts brackets and hangers into floor and walls of building. Fabricates and assembles structural and functional components of refrigeration system, using hand tools, power tools, and welding equipment.
- Charges system with proper type of refrigerant by pumping the specified gas or fluid into the system.
- May perform water treatments of closed loop water systems, cooling towers, chilled water and heating systems by collecting and testing water samples; add appropriate chemicals to maintain correct levels and balances.
- Assists in bidding and design work with manager. Trains apprentices and other personnel one-on-one as needed.
- Assists with snow removal activities as necessary. Must be available to work during inclement weather (i.e. snow and ice) when weather emergencies dictate that the CFS department is needed to take care of the campus.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned, including general building maintenance duties. Drives university vehicles as needed.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned, including general building maintenance duties. Drive University vehicles as needed. Work any shift as needed. 24-hour a day emergency response as needed. Assist with snow removal activities as necessary. Must be available to work during inclement weather (i.e. snow and ice) when weather emergencies dictate that the department is needed to take care of the campus.
High school diploma or GED and five years of verifiable journey level experience.
Certificate in relevant DOL apprenticed trade.
Possess a valid driver's license with the ability to be insured by Indiana University.
Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner. Proficient communication skills. Maintains a high degree of professionalism. Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills. Demonstrates a high commitment to quality. Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment. Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty. Highly thorough and dependable. Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure. Excellent organizational skills. Ability to represent the company with external constituents. Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion. Ability to build strong customer relationships. Quickly troubleshoots and resolves problems. Friendly and service-oriented. Knowledge of applicable building codes, regulations or ordinances. Knowledge of and ability to use materials, methods/principles and tools specific to the needs of the HVAC Mechanic trade. Ability to read and interpret drawings, blueprints and/or schematics. Ability to work with wide variety of cultures and backgrounds. May be required to acquire and maintain position-required certifications. Ability to learn navigation of building management systems. Knowledge of applicable building codes, campus standards, and ordinances.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information .
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online . You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.
About Indiana University Purdue University Indianpolis - IUPUI
Founded in 1820, Indiana University is the state’s public university system, comprised of two core campuses—IU-Bloomington and IUPUI—and six regional campuses located throughout the state. Combined, the total student population is more than 114,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional school students. IU is one of the largest employers in the state, with over 20,000 faculty and staff. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. Diversity and inclusion remains a core commitment to IU’s mission to cultivate an educational environment that supports equal access, participation and representation on all of its campuses and that provides educational and career opportunities for all.