The Communication Manager is an experienced professional in the areas of internal, external, strategic, crisis, marketing and digital communications, and works as a key member of the TCU Communications Team. Responsibilities include developing and producing content for key university audiences that promotes a deeper understanding of the University’s brand academic reputation and strategic direction. In addition to managing communications content and supporting strategic communications, this position is responsible for collaborating with colleagues in the division and departments across campus. The Communications Manager will ensure the delivery of content to key internal and external stakeholders through a variety of communications channels, including email, newsletters, magazines, web, social media and external media. Responsible for conducting and analyzing efforts to ensure that content is achieving strategic goals. Supports the team with media relations, social media, and achieving strategic goals.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Increases TCU’s visibility with stakeholders by developing and delivering effective communications that support the university’s strategic goals. 2. Develops and maintains successful relationships with the campus community to identify story angles that position TCU as an academic leader. 3. Develops, implements, and maintains effective internal communications strategy. 4. Plays a lead, collaborative role in content management and university-wide content calendar; ensures University news and information is disseminated appropriately through the right channels and right audience. 5. Develops and manages information on news webpage, keeping it populated with up-to-date, relevant news. 6. Manages faculty/staff newsletter (TCU Today) by generating and managing content, evaluating effectiveness, and coordinating with campus-wide content contributors. 7. Manages administrative office functions by establishing deadlines, reviewing layout; editing/proofing written materials, meeting deadlines. 8. Works with team to respond to media inquiries and proactively pitch stories to tell TCU’s story and grow brand. 9. Performs other related duties as assigned, including support of social media and media relations functions.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field. • 5 plus years in media relations, internal communications, corporate communications or related environment. • Media relations experience specifically required. • Must have expert written, verbal and organizational skills. Knowledge of AP Style and web writing best practices. • Experience in higher education communications and website management preferred. • Relevant experience engaging with and supporting senior leaders who are committed to meaningful, two-way internal communications is also preferred.
• Knowledge of/experience with crisis-communications management. • Knowledge of publications management – both traditional and emerging. • Knowledge of writing, editing, communication, presentation and time management techniques. • Knowledge of interpersonal techniques. • Knowledge of emerging/social media. • Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. • Ability to understand the user experience and search engine optimization. • Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously. • Ability to work with news media. • Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations.
Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information. • Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication. • Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions. • Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting. • Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours. • There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job. • The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Internal Number: 496912
About Texas Christian University
TCU is all about the experience. This is a place where students learn how to adapt to whatever the future might bring, develop critical thinking skills and expand their creativity. With a choice of rigorous academic programs in 130 undergraduate areas of study, 61 master’s level programs and 24 areas of doctoral study, Horned Frogs have opportunities to search for meaning and examine values, yet graduate well-prepared for professional accomplishment. Whether in the fine arts or business or engineering, Horned Frogs can develop their full creative potential here. For example, both MBA and undergraduate students at the Neeley School of Business benefit from an experience ranked at the top by Bloomberg Businessweek and U.S. News & World Report — not in spite of, but because of, the focus on the individual. At TCU, professors love being in the classroom. These mentoring teacher-scholars also conduct well-published, leading-edge research, often with undergraduates at their sides. Horned Frogs live, learn and play 24-7 in a 277-acre setting in a vibrant city. They work out in state-of-the-art recreation facilities, catch Big 12 NCAA athletic competition and participate in 200+ organizati...ons, all without leaving the campus. That’s when they’re not providing thousands of hours of volunteer service to their community, interning in New York or LA, practicing journalism in Washington, D.C., experiencing international business in China or perfecting Spanish in Seville. It’s how Horned Frogs are learning to change the world.