At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist may include but are not limited to the following:
TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist IV (SL-1) :
* Has line responsibility for the performance of clinical analysis in the Department of Laboratories.
* Under general direction of the senior staff member, assists in the setting up of equipment and procedures, modification and update of existing procedures.
* Under general direction of the senior staff member, assists in the development and implementation of a department quality control program in accordance with the guidelines established by the College of American Pathologists, the New York State Department of Health and other pertinent regulatory agencies. Will report out of range results to senior technologist.
* Under general direction of the senior staff member, assists in the development and implementation of a routine preventative maintenance program for equipment in the clinical laboratories.
* Reviews and approves final test reports verifying the computer / Instrument printout where applicable. Assists all areas of the hospital in the interface of the patient care computer system to access such screens as order entry and result review. Helps to implement new screens and procedures as developed or revised.
* Occasionally teaches Clinical Laboratory Sciences students and others in both theory and technique. Serves, as a preceptor of students, and as such, is responsible for laboratory work assignments and the monitoring of quality and accuracy of work performed.
* Maintains a general knowledge of safe laboratory practices, as endorsed by the New York State Department of Health and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and conducts oneself in a manner consistent with those practices to insure the safety of all laboratory personnel.
* Must review, learn and understand all applicable NYS DOH, CAP, JCAHO and HIPAA standards and regulations. Must assist in the implementation of such standards and ensure compliance with aforementioned standards and regulations.
* While hired on a particular shift, will flexibly participate in the overall function of the Department of Laboratories by assuming occasional substitution to other shifts or working prolonged shifts. Responsible for rotation and/or assignment to irregular shifts to include coverage of weekend, evening or holidays as assigned by the supervisor to ensure proper operation of the department for maintenance of patient care services.
* Performs other related duties as required or directed.
SL-1: NYS licensure as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility, including provisional/limited permit eligibility with 0-2 years demonstrated relevant experience."
Preferred : Documented experience in a NYS-DOH permitted and/or CAP accredited clinical immunology laboratory performing infectious disease serology testing. Candidate holds current ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) in the category of Technologist (MT-ASCP)/Scientist (MLS-ASCP).
Special Notes : Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Posting Overview : This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
This function/position maybe designated as "essential." This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
*The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination .
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewedhere.
Visit ourWHY WORK HEREpage to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist II/III/IV
Job Field: Laboratory
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Immunology-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8am-4:30pm Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Apr 23, 2021
Posting End Date: Jul 23, 2021, 3:59:00 AM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL2
Internal Number: 2101243
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.