Under general supervision, the Communications Specialist writes, edits and produces a variety of communication materials in support of University goals and objectives. Working with Detroit Mercy faculty, staff and vendors, the Communications Specialist coordinates and produces admissions communications (print, online and media) and promotional materials from conception stage through completion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(1) Writes, edits, designs and produces a variety of recruitment materials, including letters, emails, newsletters, brochures, fliers, invitations and videos to assist in meeting recruitment goals.
(2) Utilizes desktop design software applications. Assists in maintaining University design and identity standards.
(3) Directs photo and video shoots for recruitment publications.
(4) Manages the Admissions social media team and the day-to-day social media strategy; responds to inquiries related to Detroit Mercy recruitment information. Assists Detroit Mercy colleagues with social media presence and strategy for all admissions programs.
(5) Works in tandem with the University Marketing team. May also assist with media relations (develop basic press release or respond to basic media inquiries/requests for faculty experts) when needed.
(6) Works with internal University clients to identify and assess promotional needs for individual academic programs and colleges; secures necessary approvals to implement.
(7) Assists with content for Detroit Mercy web site; responsible for maintaining site information for admissions, financial aid and student affairs.
(8) Works with printing vendors to ensure quality products; may also take photos and video as requested.
(9) Performs other related duties and general department tasks assigned or requested.
• Associates degree; Bachelor’s degree preferred in graphic design, marketing, communications, business management or equivalent experience. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills and abilities to stay abreast of best practices and industry trends.
• Minimum of three years experience with proven skills, knowledge and ability in communications and/or marketing preferred. • • • • Previous experience with enrollment marketing, event management and social media preferred.
• Strong creative writing skills and experience using different writing styles to fit communication channels • Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task • Ability to use various social media platforms to engage prospective students • Computer expertise in Mac OS • Requires professional competencies in current design software – InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and/or Canva. • Experience in pre-print set-up and print production for quality control • Ability to produce high quality deliverables with meticulous attention to detail • Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Requires professional competencies in current design software; strong creative writing skills and experience in different writing styles to fit various communication channels. Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task. Proficiency with social media platforms.
• Computer expertise: Mac OS, desktop publishing skills in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task
• Ability to manage multi-task
• Experience in social media platforms: Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and YouTube
• Experience in pre-print set-up and print production for quality control
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Commensurate with experience
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00pm with evenings and weekends as necessary
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: AH9985-2002-1290
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.