Job ID: 2021-12622 Type: Full-Time # of Openings: 1 Category: Research and Laboratory
The McBride Lab at Princeton University is looking for a lab technician to support research on the molecular, neural, and evolutionary basis of preference for human odor in mosquitoes. The technician will devote ~75% of his/her time to a specific research project and the remaining ~25% time to general maintenance and lab support. The technician will be welcomed as a full lab member and expected to attend journal clubs and lab meetings and to contribute to a dynamic and interactive lab atmosphere. This is a unique opportunity to become deeply involved in exciting research at the interface of evolution, genetics, and neuroscience and is well-suited for a recent college graduate looking for more experience/focus before graduate school.
Research project activities may include • Mosquito behavioral experiments and breeding • Generation of transgenic strains using CRISPR/Cas9 • Odor collection and analysis using GC-Mass Spec • Molecular biology studies including DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, cloning • Preparation of high throughput sequencing libraries.
• General maintenance and lab support.
The interested candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in biology or related field and previous experience in a research laboratory (beyond lab classes).
Previous experience rearing insects, studying behavior, and/or carrying out molecular biology protocols in a research setting is strongly preferred.
A demonstrated interest in evolution, neuroscience, genetics and/or behavior is also preferred.
It is absolutely essential that candidates be highly organized, detail-oriented, and demonstrate enthusiasm for working and communicating with others in a collaborative lab setting.
The term of this appointment is one year, with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory performance and funding.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University is a vibrant community of scholarship and learning that stands in the nation's service and in the service of all nations. Chartered in 1746, Princeton is the fourth-oldest college in the United States. Princeton is an independent, coeducational, nondenominational institution that provides undergraduate and graduate instruction in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and engineering.As a world-renowned research university, Princeton seeks to achieve the highest levels of distinction in the discovery and transmission of knowledge and understanding. At the same time, Princeton is distinctive among research universities in its commitment to undergraduate teaching.Today, more than 1,100 faculty members instruct approximately 5,200 undergraduate students and 2,600 graduate students. The University's generous financial aid program ensures that talented students from all economic backgrounds can afford a Princeton education.