Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel will have primary responsibility for overseeing the university-wide contract management process, with ancillary responsibilities across the span of legal services provided by the Office of General Counsel. The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
Responsibilities: - Oversee contract management process including drafting, reviewing, editing and negotiating an array of commercial contracts; provide commercial transaction support across the institution;
- Partner effectively with cross-functional teams to empower colleagues to achieve goals while managing risk and acting in the best interests of the university;
- Initiate ongoing improvements to contracting process to ensure efficiency, accuracy, compliance and a positive user experience with the contracting process;
- Provide support to the Office of General Counsel by assisting with a broad range of commercial litigation matters.
- Assist in overseeing outside counsel in litigation activities including pleadings, motions, discovery, depositions, trials, mediations, arbitrations, appeals, etc.;
- Perform all job responsibilities with accuracy, efficiency and high quality
- Conduct legal research and analysis and draft legal memoranda;
- Remain current on higher education legal developments at the federal, state and local levels;
- Assist the Deputy General Counsel and General Counsel as needed, and perform other duties as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Diverse contract management experience preferably in a higher education setting, or a combination of law firm and other in-house experience; exposure to a range of other legal matters;
- Demonstrated business acumen with commitment to provide responsive service to colleagues across campus; approaches work with a business friendly and pragmatic mindset; Ability to manage a high volume and array of contractual agreements from routine to complex; adapt quickly to changing priorities in a dynamic environment;
- Familiarity with a broad range of legal matters; strong experience in reviewing, drafting, negotiating, and editing commercial contracts
- Ability to assist in overseeing outside counsel in litigation activities including pleadings, motions, discovery, depositions, conferences, trials, mediations, arbitrations, appeals, etc.;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to advance shared university goals
- Demonstrated professionalism, friendliness and flexibility in interactions with colleagues
- High level of integrity, sound business and legal judgment, and dedication to excellence
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate complex legal concepts in a non-legal way
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thorough and detailed legal research and analysis; ability to draft well-written legal memoranda
Qualifications: - Undergraduate degree; law degree from ABA-accredited institution; admitted to practice in New York; - 5+ years of broad-based contracting agreement experience preferably in a university setting, or a combination of law firm and other in-house experience; exposure to a range of other legal matters; - Familiarity with a wide range of legal issues, especially those pertaining to commercial contracts, but preferably also including information security, intellectual property, and labor and employment law matters
Internal Number: 19629
About The New School
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.