Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant ("APP") - Inpatient Orthopedics
Harborview Hospital is seeking a full time Orthopedic Advanced Practice Provider to join its growing team. This new orthopedic position is designed to support the hospitals expansion of APP coverage in the Orthopedic department.
The orthopedic APP will have responsibility for the care of in-patients 7 days a week including some evening and night coverage as well as an expectation of some weekends and holidays. There is no OR time or clinic duties.
The orthopedic APP will have general independence and decision-making responsibility in the care of the orthopedic patient on the inpatient units, under the guidance of the attending physicians, and in consultation with Fellows and residents. The orthopedic APP works in collaboration with the care coordinators, and social workers to discharge patients safely and efficiently. General administrative supervision is under the direction of the Assistant Director of ARNPs and PAs (APPs), and clinical supervision is under the direction of the medical director. The APP is responsible for coordination of direct patient care, documentation of care delivered, adherence to hospital and nursing policies, procedures, and practice standards. Provide clinical expertise and education to patients and staff. The APPs participate in research and teaching programs.
Harborview (HMC) is the only level 1 adult and pediatric trauma center serving Washington, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. HMC is owned by King County, governed by a county-appointed Board of Trustees, and managed by the University of Washington (UW). Harborview serves as one of the training sites for the UW School of Medicine, Medex and School of Nursing programs and is a public/safety-net hospital for our diverse community. We provide high quality, state-of-the art advanced health care for all.
· Medical history review and interpret patient data to formulate treatment plans based on diagnosis and when necessary consulting with Attending physician, fellow, or residents
· Work collaboratively with nursing leadership to ensure timely communications with the nursing staff.
· Round with teams and collaborate with residents on daily tasks needed such as ordering labs, suture removal, wound care, drain removal, x-ray ordering and follow up
· Provide education and updates to patients and family members regarding care plan
· Recognize and evaluate situations which call for immediate attention and when necessary, institute emergency procedures.
· Prescribes medical equipment, devices, physical and occupational therapy, and home health services.
· Prescribes in-patient and discharge medications including controlled substances with DEA authorization.
· Works collaboratively with the attending physician, consulting physician(s), and other disciplines to identify, develop, and implement an appropriate plan of care that maximizes individual patient/family preference and enhances quality, access, and cost-effective outcomes.
· Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MDs etc.
· Review and update protocols in collaboration with physician.
· Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers and other health professionals.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.