Applications are invited for two full-time, term positions as an Instructor (job code 9404) or Assistant Professor (Job Code 9403) in the University of Minnesota Duluth Physics and Astronomy department. These temporary leave-replacement appointments begin 8/23/21 thru 5/22/22. Renewal of one position for a second year is possible depending on performance and staffing needs.
The successful candidate will be expected to fully contribute to the teaching responsibilities in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. The teaching load for these positions is three courses or equivalent per semester. Depending on interest and qualifications, those selected could teach a mix of introductory and upper-level courses, and possibly astronomy or astrophysics courses.
Required qualifications for Instructor and Assistant Professor position include:
• Ph.D. (for Assistant Professor) or M.S. (for Instructor) or equivalent experience such as advanced Ph.D. candidate status in Physics, Astronomy, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited university.
• Minimum of one year of experience teaching a diverse group of students at the undergraduate level as a TA.
• Ability in written and oral communication.
Preferred qualifications for Instructor and Assistant Professor positions include:
• Undergraduate-level teaching experience beyond the conventional TA duties.
• Experience teaching in an active-learning classroom setting.
• Ability to enthusiastically attract students to the field of physics including those students who traditionally have been underrepresented in the STEM fields
• Ability to work well in a collaborative environment
Internal Number: 339433
About University of Minnesota, Duluth
The University of Minnesota Duluth integrates liberal education, research, creative activity, and public engagement and prepares students to thrive as lifelong learners and globally engaged citizens.