Performs repairs, installations, and modification to systems and equipment, including but not limited to campus electrical systems, fire alarms systems, lighting systems, and clock systems. Work schedule including day and hours are subject to change depending on the needs of the University and Facilities Management Operations & Maintenance Department. This position is “mission critical”.
Primary Responsibilities :
1. Safely install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair electrical systems, equipment, circuits, appliances, and related electrical controls and devices. Inspect and certify work is in compliance with state and local electrical codes.
2. Follow a predetermined schedule of preventive maintenance on equipment and circuits to check for proper operation, loose connections, overheating, leaking, insulation, arcing, deterioration, cleanliness, vibration, alignment, and lubrication.
3. Uses ladders, scaffolds, personnel lifts, cherry pickers and buckets to replace outdoor lighting and lighting in high-ceiling facilities such as the HPE pool area, racquetball courts, main activity floor, Regents Hall, etc.
4. Troubleshoot motors, motor control circuits, across the line starters, reduce voltage starters (auto transformer, resister), reversing starters, electrical systems in hazardous locations, battery banks and battery chargers.
5. Test, maintain, and repair all emergency electrical equipment.
6. Responds to emergency trouble calls during and after regular working hours as required by supervisory personnel. Works overtime and adjusts schedule to work weekends and evenings, as needed to accomplish tasks.
7. Inspects equipment and tools to ensure they are safe and in good working order. Report malfunctioning equipment to supervisory personnel.
8. Interpret plans, sketches, wiring diagrams, and specifications; identify all electrical terms and symbols.
9. Assist with switchgear and high voltage maintenance.
10. Perform related duties as assigned and assist other trades as needed.
Vocational/Technical certification in electrical services or related field with 2 years experience preferred; acceptable equivalency would be High school diploma/GED with 3 years of related commercial electrical experience/electrical proficiency as demonstrated by past work history; Must possess valid driver’s license; Requires physical ability to stand, bend, reach, stoop, kneel, walk, perform work while standing on ladders or overhead, push, pull, and perform medium heavy to maximum physical exertion.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Minimum Education: High School Diploma
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Quick Link: 9985
Internal Number: 9985
About Northern Kentucky University
NKU is a growing metropolitan university of more than 14,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati.
Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky—just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati—we have become a leader in Greater Cincinnati and Kentucky by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost.
While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students' names.