Cornell Cooperative Extension of Erie County has an opening for a part-time (32hrs/wk) Assistant Store Manager for the Erie Taste NY store locations on Grand Island, NY and the Exchange Street Train Station in downtown Buffalo, NY.
The Taste NY Assistant Market Manager will serve as the Taste NY Assistant Market Manager for Cornell Cooperative Extension Erie County and will work under the direction and supervision of the Executive Director and the Taste NY Market Manager.
The Erie Taste New York Store and program promotes local agricultural products and agri-tourism and will help represent Cornell Cooperative Extension of Erie County to the public, NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets and Cornell University; a familiarity with local agriculture products and retail food sales will be demonstrated. Primary responsibilities include clerical/administrative support with day-to-day planning, coordination, routine management, guidance to market clerk staff, straightforward inventory management, purchasing, operation of cash register, basic cash controls, operation and maintenance of inventory and Point of Sale software, regular staff scheduling, transportation of inventory from warehouse to store, customer service, and general record keeping. This position will provide oversight to temporary program staff and program volunteers as needed.
This is a one-year grant funded position. Position may require travel to Taste NY Market locations in the Western New York Welcome Center on Grand Island and the Exchange Street Train Station in downtown Buffalo as assigned by Supervisor.
* Associates or Equivalent Education. (GED/High School Diploma with one-year transferrable program/functional experience may substitute). * Experience relevant to the role of the position. * Ability to clearly communicate (speak, read and write proficiently) in English. * Valid NYS Driver's License and the ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position (including travel to the Grand Island and downtown Buffalo Taste NY Market locations). * Must be able to drive personal or Association vehicle for pick-up and delivery of product. Handcart or dolly may be used for transportation purposes - no heavy equipment use required. * Ability to lift 20lbs to 50lbs regularly with or without reasonable accommodation. * Ability to transport/move supplies and equipment, climb stairs with or without reasonable accommodation. * Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate. * Ability to complete basic math functions in a fast-paced environment. * Ability and willingness to work with diverse audiences and maintain cultural sensitivity. * Proficiency with windows-based software including use of internet-based communications and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, and Excel. * Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, and tactfully through verbal, written and electronic methods. * Ability and willingness to work with a high degree of integrity, accuracy, organization, sound professional judgment, and the ability to handle confidential, sensitive information. * Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize multiple tasks, deadlines, requirements, and priorities to complete work in a timely manner and within established deadlines. * Ability to follow procedures and written instructions. * Detail-oriented.
* Familiarity with electronic technology (e.g. video, audio, computers, etc.). * Experience working in customer service and retail environments. * Understanding of basic marketing and promotion. * Financial accounting and order tracking. * Knowledge of basic marketing strategies, advertising and distribution of products. * Experience in local food display, merchandising, and sales as well as the promotion of agri-tourism. * Demonstrated ability to creatively solve problems. * Demonstrated ability to manage inventory, collect recommendations and recognize "top-sellers." * Ability to work independently, make decisions, attend to details, and handle multiple tasks and work under pressure. * Ability to manage staff, create and maintain schedules, manage inventory, purchase concession items, consumables and janitorial goods.
Program Delivery - 10%
* Educate the public on local agriculture products. * Educate farmers/vendors in agricultural marketing practices (i.e. Retail Ready). * Utilizing existing resources, including guidance of Executive Director and Market Manager, as it relates to program delivery. * Provide experiential learning opportunities to vendors on agri-marketing topics such as labeling, tracking sales and use of social media marketing. * Engage and interact with customers to educate them on the local food system, NY Agriculture and agricultural related issues. * Educate Taste NY Clerks on local and/or regional food and agricultural products. * Teach Taste NY Clerks about marketing practices and train them in the specifics of marketing local farms and food products in a Taste NY market setting. * Serve as a subject matter resource for Taste NY products. * Represent Cornell Cooperative Extension before the public, community leaders, government officials, Cornell or other land grant universities as part of program delivery.
Administrative Management - 5%
* Provide supervision, coaching, and feedback of assigned staff providing constructive feedback and overall performance management. * Assist Market Manager to provide guidance and oversight to clerk staff and volunteers on facilities maintenance and housekeeping chores. * Give guidance and oversee completion of clerk staff entries into store logs and/or equipment journals. * Assist Market Manager will interface with Thruway Authority (property owner at WNY Welcome Center), DOT and Amtrak (property managers at Train Station), and 3rd party contractors according to established procedures. * Assist with solving problems and resolve conflicts that arise in the Taste NY Marketplace Program utilizing appropriate, existing policies and procedures.
Administrative Coordination/Operation - 80%
* Assist with establishing work schedules/staff scheduling based on needs of the Marketplace. * Learn and work with inventory software and POS software. * Receive incoming deliveries and management logistics of off-site storage location, transport product, supplies, and deposits to Train Station from Welcome Center and vice versa (driving is required). * Support Market Manager in inventory management; monthly shrink records and physical inventory. * Assist Market Manager in cash errands and off-site errands. * Support Market Manager for the timely delivery of inventory invoices and purchase orders in preparation for accounting department. * Following procedures, purchase concession items, consumables, and janitorial goods. * Provide routine clerical and retail market service. * Act in the capacity of cashier, stock clerk, and utility clerk as necessary when short staffed. * Provide routine support to Market Manager to analyze electronic problems with POS hardware and software or mechanical issues with refrigerators, freezers and/or other machinery at facility. * Coordinate repairs on programs or machinery with appropriate vendors. Equipment includes but not limited to: multi-line phone, cash register, interactive display and video monitor. * Assist with the preparation of Taste NY progress reports for funders. * Transport self, and/or program materials and resources necessary for performing position responsibilities. * Effectively maintain existing professional relationships with other agencies, organizations, vendors, and businesses. * Prepare and submit accurate expense reports, receipts/supporting documentation, and/or vouchers in a timely manner per established policy and procedures. * Prepare and submit accurate mileage reports and supporting documentation in a timely manner per established policy and procedures.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
* In cooperation with the Supervisor, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes in programming and association priorities. * Participate in all required orientation, training, and/or in-service meetings and trainings as scheduled/required. * Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Cooperative Extension programs and other duties as assigned. * Maintain regular and predictable attendance and punctuality.
Health and Safety - Applies to all duties and functions
* Support the association to maintain a safe working environment. * Be familiar and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard. * Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applies to all duties and functions
* Conduct all programming and activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Act, Title IX Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act, and local, state, and regional affirmative action plans. * Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public. * Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences. * Represent Cornell Cooperative Extension to community leaders, colleagues, volunteers, members of Cornell University faculty and staff, government officials and the general public in a professional manner. * Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension policies, procedures and Cornell Skills for Success. * Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely, and accurate manner. * At all times act in a professional Customer Service manner including but not limited to business-like demeanor, tactful communications, cooperative, helpful, positive and receptive manner.
Benefits, based on eligibility, including: * Vacation, Sick and Personal time * Paid Holidays * NYS Health Insurance Program (including Dental Insurance) * NYS Retirement * Long-term Disability Insurance * Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity * Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts * Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance * Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance * Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance * Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance * Voluntary Auto and Homeowner's Insurance * Voluntary Pet Insurance * Voluntary New York's College Savings Program
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Internal Number: WDR-00024641
About Cornell University
In 1865, Ezra Cornell founded an institution "where any person can find instruction in any study." From the beginning, all students were welcome, regardless of race, gender, ideology, or socioeconomic status. Today, we invite you to join our talented and diverse students and accessible faculty who, together, form a living and learning community unmatched in its breadth of opportunities.Cornell University's college, schools, and other academic units offer more than 4,000 courses, 70 undergraduate majors, 93 graduate fields of study, undergraduate and advanced degrees, and continuing education and outreach programs.