Position Title: Assistant Director - Student Accounting Office
Classification Title: FT Administrator
City/Campus: Detroit - McNichols
Department: Student Accounting Office
Position Status: Full Time
Assist the Director of Student Accounting in providing superior service to students and manage and direct activities within the Student Accounting Office. Reporting to the Director of Student Accounting, this position is responsible for assisting in the oversight of invoicing and collection of student account balances. This includes special billing arrangements with third parties, tuition payment plans, federal loan programs, and collection of delinquent account balances. This position also manages the cashiering function across all campuses, including training new cashiers. In collaboration with Finance and Registrar’s Office, this position is part of a team that oversees tuition rate rules in the University ERP system Banner. The Assistant Director of Student Accounting Office supervises four direct reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Liaison to ECSI, third-party loan service provider, in the management and oversight of activity relating to Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Nursing Loans, Federal Nurse Faculty Loans, Federal Health Profession Loans, and Institutional Loans. Collaborate with Financial Aid to periodically reconcile loans advanced through various federal and institutional loan programs. Transfer new loans to ECSI for servicing. Reconcile and record monthly ECSI collection activity which includes preparation of journal vouchers in Banner to post activity to the general ledger in each of the loan funds. Reconcile federal loan bank accounts. Assist Controller in fiscal year end reconciliation of all loan fund balances and ECSI reports. Assist with student inquiries. Supervise Loan Collection Representative.
(2) Responsible for the management and oversight of the third-party billing process. Supervise the Third-Party Billing Coordinator who is responsible for invoicing various organizations for student tuition and applying payments to student accounts. Review and approve reconciliations of third-party account receivable balances.
(3) Administrator for CASHNet campus online payment platform that integrates with ERP system Banner. In collaboration with Director of Student Accounting and Controller, maintain the CASHNet system and operator setups. Oversee training of new cashiers. Supervise cashier in Student Accounting Office. Provide support and training for cashiers located at other campus locations. Collaborate with Finance on failed transactions requiring manual posting. Assist Finance as needed relative to audit or other transaction inquiries.
(4) In collaboration with Director of Student Accounting, Registrar and Finance, maintain and update ERP system tuition rate rules that directly impact student tuition assessment.
(5) Responsible for generating student refunds twice a week in collaboration with Financial Aid and Finance.
(6) Responsible for generating and delivering electronic billing statements to students each term.
(7) Assist Director of Student Accounting in analyzing student account receivable balances. Supervise Collections Coordinator – Accounts Receivable Representative.
(8) Ensure compliance with FERPA.
(9) Generate annual IRS Form 1098-T data file. In collaboration with IT, complete annual updates as needed for tax compliance.
(10) Reconciliation of accounts that may be assigned by Controller or Assistant Controller.
(11) Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or other discipline with demonstrated experience.
- Minimum three years’ experience in managing accounts receivable and collections. - Some accounting and basic understanding of general ledger structure and purpose. - Experience in preparing journal entries for posting to general ledger. - Supervisory experience preferred. - Account reconciliation experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Adaptability and ability to adopt transformative technologies in the workplace. - Effective collaborator successful in building teamwork. - Strong work ethic and ability to develop leadership skills. - Ability to communicate clearly and professionally. - Customer service oriented. - Ability to support management in implementing best business practices and continuous improvement initiatives. - Effective at managing multiple tasks simultaneously. - Experience in data analysis and problem solving. - Display solid working knowledge of standard computer applications including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. - Experience in the use of ERP systems and cloud-based platforms.
Job may require lifting light weight objects with no repetitive bending or stooping.
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Open Date: 12/11/2020
Salary/Pay Information: Commensurate with experience
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: AF9967-SAS01-3012-1255
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.