Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory, Staff/Administrative
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The School of Nursing has an outstanding opportunity for a Simulation Technology Specialist. The Simulation Technology Specialist is responsible for facilitating the successful daily technology-related operations of the School of Nursing (SoN) Simulation Center. This position reports to the SoN Director of Simulation. Based in the Simulation Center, this role supports the use of instructional and simulation technology within the Simulation Center, including facilitating curriculum delivery with appropriate instructional, simulation and AV technology. This position additionally reviews the equipment and supply needs for simulation, maintains simulators and coordinates repair by appropriate parties.
The Simulation Technology Specialist will support Simulation Center educators and SON Faculty in the planning and delivery of instructional activities while additionally coordinating volunteers and/or standardized patients when appropriate.
The UW SoN Simulation Center supports undergraduate and graduate students with hands-on skills training and simulated “real-life” experiences, enhancing their confidence and providing real-time human and technological feedback about the development of their psychomotor, assessment, clinical judgement and diagnostic skills. This position is integral to the Center's success and vital to the School's mission and strategic goals to educate nursing professionals and improve the quality and safety of patient care and achieve the best possible outcomes for the citizens of the State of Washington.
SIMULATION SUPPORT •Works collaboratively with the Director of Clinical Simulation, SON Faculty and Simulation Center colleagues to program appropriate simulation scenarios and physiological responses, creating a realistic and safe environment to address SoN program goals and specifications while adhering to recognized simulation standards •Assists instructors and/or faculty with delivery of curriculum including practicing scenarios prior to a formal course •Operates video recording system, SimIQ or comparable system for use in instructional recording and debriefing sessions while training and supporting others in its use. •Supports/assists in role-playing applications, props placement, and moulage set-up to create a realistic virtual healthcare setting. •Remains current with research and trends in health sciences simulation, learning science and instructional technologies. •The Simulation Technology Specialist will additionally support tours and simulation sessions for internal/external groups and/or individuals.
LAB MAINTENANCE •Provides general maintenance and operation of simulation equipment and related laboratory equipment, including technical troubleshooting or arranging for service as needed. •Assisting colleagues with set up and take down of equipment, lab preparation and safety inspections as needed for instructional activities. •Oversees and delegates to student workers for routine lab operations.
OTHER •Establishes and manages inventory and asset tracking of all lab items. •Maintains inventory and records of supplies and equipment as needed for simulation. •Manages item check out, including maintaining a barcode tracking system. •Adheres to all protocols set in place by the Director and Assistant Director of Simulation. •Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Additional duties to support remote education: •Onsite set up and break down support for classes •Onsite equipment management/maintenance •Onsite inventory management/assess management •Zoom room management for online lab sessions •Equipment and supply purchasing assistance
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Bachelor's Degree in education, technology, health science and/or a related field required
• Three (3) years of professional experience with learning technology, instructional design and the support of faculty.
• Familiarity with pedagogical framework for effective educational simulation activities.
• Proficiency with a variety of learning, instructional and collaborative technologies, as well as related systems and hardware: desktop computers, monitors, mobile devices, video cameras, microphones, and other similar technology.
• Demonstrated ability to consult and interact with a wide range of colleagues, faculty and stakeholders. Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as the ability to present instructional content in a group setting. Maintaining positive working relationships with a professional demeanor and strong customer service focus is required.
• Ability to work independently, exercise good judgement, prioritize work and use initiative. Demonstrated effective communication/interpersonal skills. Should be comfortable in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and manage projects to meet multiple deadlines with adequate attention to quality, project/task follow-through, dependability, and detail. Must possess strong organizational skills with the ability to first identify and prioritize issues and then design and implement solutions in a collaborative approach.
• This is an over-time exempt, non-union position under the Professional Staff rules and standards of the University of Washington and may require some evening and weekend hours to accommodate scheduled labs and special events within the Simulation Center.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Knowledge and understanding of proper lab procedures
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except where there are legal requirements such as license/certification/registration.
Master's Degree in education, technology, health science and/or a related field required
• Prior experience in health care training and/or instruction.
• Prior experience in a higher education environment
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.