As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
UW Finance has an outstanding opportunity for a Database Developer. This position plays a key role in building, remediating, and retiring dozens of financial applications and hundreds of financial reports as part of the UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT), a multi-year effort to the replace the University’s financial systems.
The Database Developer is responsible for the analysis, design, development, maintenance, and support of multiple SQL Server databases. This role is critical to meeting the needs of UW Finance for application scalability, availability, and performance. This position supports financial application and reporting using T-SQL, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), C# .Net, and Excel Power Pivot. This position identifies comprehensive system requirements and builds systems to enable a smooth transition to Workday for UW Finance. Technical scope requires the ability to quickly learn and understand the policies, functional processes, and procedures of the UW.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for database design, normalization and implementation
• Create and maintain SQL queries, views, stored procedures, and functions
• Develop new ETL processes and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) packages
• Develop reports using SSRS
• Advise on SQL Server development best practices
• Utilize source control to manage code in collaboration with other developers
• Ensure development code is properly tested through unit tests and code reviews
• Collaborate with team for continuous improvement in an Agile/Lean development environment
• Lead code reviews, architecture design sessions, planning sessions
• Mentor junior developers
• Document systems and cross-train others
Server Administration and Support
• Manage IIS web servers
• Manage SQL Server database servers
• Server infrastructure design and support
• Manage server updates and upgrades
• Manage server local and offsite backups
• Maintain Disaster Recovery procedures.
• Troubleshoot any data load failures or data retrieval issues.
• Maintain optimum stability, performance and security of databases and websites
• Provide support and troubleshooting assistance
• Maintain comprehensive documentation and standards on production environments
• Support existing data driven applications (Access, .Net, Excel)
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Math, Finance, or equivalent experience and 5 years of database development experience utilizing TSQL for creating database objects i.e. Tables, Stored Procedures, Functions, Triggers and Views
• Experience with SQL Server (2008 or above) and Business Intelligence Development Studio with expertise with design and development of SSIS packages
• Experience with logical and physical data models and Entity-Relationship Diagrams (ERD)
• Experience with Windows Server (2008 or above) administration, deployment, and support.
• Database performance tuning, troubleshooting
• Experience in adhering to and enhancing a Software Development Methodology (Agile strongly preferred)
• Experience with the Windows operating system environment
• Demonstrated excellence in client interaction, written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects.
• Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities
• Pragmatic problem-solver with the ability to focus on meeting short term goals while not losing sight of the big picture
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except where there are legal requirements such as license/certification/registration.
• Experience with Jira, Wiki, SharePoint or other enterprise tools for managing work and tracking deliverables.
• Experience in a large university, large medical center, or other large complex enterprise.
• Experience with Workday or other ERP financial
• Experience with .NET 4.0, C#, SOA, MVC, ADO.NET, ASP.NET
• Knowledge of LEAN process improvement theory and methodology
• Experience with cost or financial accounting
• Experience with University of Washington financial systems
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.