Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized institute offering programs in the schools of architecture, art, design, information, and liberal arts & sciences to students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students, and staff, and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
The responsibilities of the Film/Video Chairperson include:
- providing academic leadership for the department in accordance with the strategic plan of the Institute
- holding regularly scheduled faculty meetings that allow for faculty input in departmental decisions; this includes adequate communication of issues and forums for the discussion of issues;
- developing, with faculty, department curricula and other educational programs and activities
- guiding the program faculty/department to ensure that all curriculum-related accreditation standards are met
- supervising the administrative staff, functions, and educational programs of the department
- assigning faculty teaching loads, courses, and schedules in accordance with Institute policies and agreements and in consultation with faculty
- recruiting, hiring, and supervising faculty
- reviewing and submitting recommendations on all faculty personnel actions
- mentoring faculty and supporting their development professionally, in the classroom, and in service
- supervising and managing the departmental budget
- In collaboration with the technical staff, to ensure equipment, technology and facilities remain current and support the academic program
- assisting Admissions with recruitment of students
- collaborating with Academic Advisement in advising students
- managing and addressing student concerns regarding departmental issues in accordance with Institute policies and procedures
- teaching (optionally) one course per semester within the departmental curriculum
- participating as appropriate in the outreach efforts of the Institute to alumni, professional organizations, businesses, and community groups
- participating in fundraising initiatives
- participating in assigned committees and the planning and governance of the Institute
- carrying out special projects as requested by the Dean or the Institute
Education: A a terminal degree in film, video, or a related area is required
Experience: Professional achievement in the discipline of film/video and recognized standing in the field. A record of film/video screenings, exhibitions, and/or broadcasts is required. Evidence of programming, curatorial, or scholarly work is a plus. At least five years of administrative management experience, preferably in higher education; a minimum of five years of college level teaching experience, preferably with the rank of associate or full professor.
Skills: Demonstrated strong interpersonal and management skills with a track record of collaborative undertakings; demonstrated level of inter-cultural competence and ability to work well with diverse populations; understanding of the educational benefits of diversity and commitment to diversity and inclusion. Excellent organizational skills.
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications
Review of applications to begin on January 20, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, a document that contains links to your professional work, a statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your career and how you would continue to do so at Pratt, and the names and contact information for three professional references via our internal application site at https://apply.interfolio.com/81318
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The mission of Pratt Institute is to educate artists and creative professionals to be responsible contributors to society. Pratt seeks to instill in all graduates aesthetic judgment, professional knowledge, collaborative skills, and technical expertise. With a firm grounding in the liberal arts and sciences, a Pratt education blends theory with creative application in preparing graduates to become leaders in their professions. Pratt enrolls a diverse group of highly talented and dedicated students, challenging them to achieve their full potential.