Cedars-Sinai Division of Nursing is committed to engaging nursing staff to develop and provide excellent evidence-driven clinical care. The Department of Nursing Research and Performance Improvement promotes sound and ethical research methods to study patient care and population health. Current research focus areas include: Health disparities and equity, Genomics, Improving the care and health outcomes of older adults, Patient safety for inpatient and ambulatory care settings, and Nurse-sensitive performance measures.
Join the Nursing Research Team and help us make a difference.
The Nurse Informaticist is a registered nurse who is responsible for optimizing nursing quality and performance improvement on behalf of the Brawerman Nursing Institute and will serve as a nursing's collaborator within performance improvement and quality across the medical center. The Nurse Informaticist will serve as the steward of data, including but not limited to real-time adjudication of data within the electronic medical record, data reporting and data management, Magnet data preparation and will oversee the implementation of automated systems to support data collection and management of nurse sensitive indicators to improve patient care and outcomes and conduct nursing research. She/he is knowledgeable regarding nursing process and nursing practice, relevant regulatory and certification targets, and principles of nursing quality/safety improvement. The Nurse Informaticist will work in close alignment with ensuring real-time adjudication of data within the electronic medical record and will improve on nursing processes to promote improved documentation, ensure data accurately reflects nursing documentation and assesses for trends in nursing quality metrics and alerts the nursing leadership team for changes in these trends.
She/he serves as the primary interface and point of community between Nursing, Enterprise Information Services (EIS), Performance Improvement and Clinical Engineering to ensure multi- and inter-disciplinary project coordination. She/he is responsible for and has working knowledge of nurse sensitive data collection, management, analysis, and presentation to monitor outcomes that promote best practices. Responsible for the planning, development of outcome metrics in collaboration with inter-professional teams as they relate to clinical nursing practice, research, performance improvement and educational priorities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assist with the design of informatic tools for data collection such as RedCap or other mechanisms of data collection
* Provide program management for nursing informatics projects but not limited to: Assess unit and department technology needs; Coordinate orientation classes at implementation; Provide ongoing end user education; Develop system-related policies and procedures; Work with the appropriate department teams and directors to confirm staff involvement and competency for projects as appropriate
* Evaluate, optimize and automate the collection, maintenance and analysis of regulatory and nurse sensitive or project driven data
* Define, track and report progress related to quality metrics/indicators
* Ensure the informatic tools planned for implementation are practical and responsive to the end user needs
* Ensure that reliable data are being reported in patient care information systems through the use of nurse auditors and inter-rater reliability testing on a frequency as appropriate for the assigned project
* Works closely and interfaces regularly with partners in EIS and Clinical Engineering to ensure multi- and inter-disciplinary project coordination
* Teach bedside nurses how to read, interface with data reports and interpret their results
* Assist in the design, implementation and oversight of nursing performance improvement projects
* Collaborates to problem solve and make decision to achieve desired outcomes
* Identifies and responds appropriately to both internal and external customer needs utilizing available resources
* Represents the company with external constituents
* These statements describe the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all tasks. Other work duties may be assigned at any time with or without notice
Providing healthcare for more than 100 years, Cedars-Sinai has evolved into one of the most dynamic and highly renowned medical centers in the world. Along with caring for patients, Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. This attracts exceptional talent to Cedars-Sinai, including world-renowned physician-scientists who seek a place where they can both conduct research and see patients--the ideal formula for discovery and its translation into cures. Our patients benefit from access to doctors at the top of their fields, and our researchers have an ideal community in which to study the impact of healthcare challenges, and reflect that knowledge in their research. The greater Los Angeles area in which Cedars-Sinai resides possesses unparalleled cultural and ethnic diversity which offers outstanding opportunities for translational and clinical research and a dynamic environment for medical education.Although community based, Cedars-Sinai is a major t...eaching hospital affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Cedars-Sinai has highly competitive graduate medical education programs in more than 50 specialty and subspecialty areas, a graduate program in biomedical sciences and translational medicine, a clinical scholars program directed towards junior physicians with aspirations to become clinical scientists, and post graduate training opportunities.There are more than 250 full-time faculty members at Cedars-Sinai. The voluntary medical staff, comprised of more than 2,200 specialty board-certified or board-qualified physicians, represent all of the specialties and subspecialties and collaborate with full-time medical staff in the teaching responsibilities of the graduate medical education programs.