Description of Position The School Supplies, Medical and Graduation Merchandise Buyer for the University of Minnesota Bookstores is responsible for buying retail merchandise for the Supplies and Graduation departments. This includes school/office, art, medical and graduation (regalia, diploma frames, class rings, diploma covers & graduation announcements) and related merchandise.
This full-time position reports directly to the General Merchandise Manager
• Acquisition, distribution and business oversight for of school, office and medical supplies and services • Acquisition, distribution and business oversight for graduation regalia, products and services. This includes supporting graduation events and student, faculty and academic department graduation event related needs • Manage and maintain budgeted goals for sales, profit margin, expenses and inventory • Reconcile invoices, purchase orders. Resolve pricing/quantity discrepancies, delivery issues and other logistical matters • Maintain accurate records and files related to the areas of responsibility
Essential Functions of the Position
• Buy merchandise for resale and oversee floor operations for school/office supplies, graduation products, and medical supplies lines of business. This includes product sourcing, vendor relationship management, negotiating terms and managing inventory and profit margins for those lines of business • Develop and manage marketing, merchandising plans and floor displays to support sales goals for the school/office supplies, medical supplies, and graduation regalia/supplies/products • Forecast, analyze and maintain sales and inventory levels based on demands and/or sales trends • Monitor market trends; obtain comparative data regarding price, quality, quantity, availability and delivery. Keep current on new product developments. Attend trade shows as appropriate • Consult with Manager on appropriate University purchasing policies, procedures, and methodologies
Work is performed mainly in a retail store and office setting.
Annual Salary Range: $50,000 - $57,000
• BA/BS plus at least two years of professional work experience or a combination of related education and work experience to equal six years • Retail sales and customer service experience
• Experience sourcing merchandise for resale • Experience in the graduation regalia and supplies business • Experience with point-of-sale systems • Visual merchandising experience • Experience building vendor relationships
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work independently and solve a range of straightforward problems • Skill in reading and interpreting purchase requests and other written material • Effective use of computer hardware and associated software and maintenance of appropriate systems, records and files • Cognitive skill for strategic thought • Administrative and leadership skills • Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Internal Number: 338285
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.