The College of Education at Michigan State University invites applications for a fixed-term academic specialist position as Urban Recruitment, Outreach and Programing Specialist in the Department of Teacher Education. This position is a full-time appointment on a calendar year basis.
The successful candidate will perform the following job duties and responsibilities:
· Recruiting high school students for participation in pre-college summer programs;
· Coordinating pre-college summer programs for youth from urban communities with interest in higher education and the teaching profession;
· Developing relationships with K-12 teachers, administrators, counselors, and community partners;
· Assisting with evaluation of pre-college program initiatives;
· Coordinating with MSU offices to implement and ensure successful and safe educational experiences for summer program participants;
· Hiring, training, and supervising summer programs peer-mentors;
· Assisting with hiring, and support of, instructors for summer programs;
· Coordinating Advance To Adventure (ATA) and attending events for the Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT);
· Assisting with coordination of the Urban Education Speaker Series with input from College of Education faculty;
· Collaborating with the Office of K-12 Outreach to link College of Education support and resources with community partners.
The position may also include teaching in the Teacher Preparation Program.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Candidates must have experience in planning and executing programs focused on student recruitment and academic success; experience facilitating workshops; strong communication skills; experience with program evaluation; demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of culturally and linguistically diverse learners; skills in collaborating with teachers, principals, and community partners.
Experience working with youth from urban communities; experience working with urban schools; experience planning events; experience with data management and/or evaluation; experience using technology to solve problems.
Required Application Materials
letter of application, CV, list of 3 references
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2020, and will continue until the position has been filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Michigan State University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.