This position is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction on all fiscal and administrative affairs related to the service, research, and education missions. Act as the primary administrative lead of all related fiscal and budgetary functions for the Chairman and the entire Department(s).
Act as a shared services director of administration and business/fiscal affairs for (2) Basic Science Organizations (Department, Centers, etc.). Serves as the overall fiscal officer including budget preparation and budget administration. Responsible for all legal, compliance and audit issues. Analyze and advise on the complete book of business for each Department to include all human resources issues related to performance, personnel, payroll, faculty affairs, and staffing. Responsible for all auxiliary services, grant activity, pre and post award, and contract negotiations. Act as the primary resource for all equipment/building repairs, renovations, and maintenance. Point of contact for Information Technology. Responsible for graduate programs, student affairs, tuition, fee remission. Primary resource, highest point of contact, and responsible for any/all operational, administrative, business, and fiscal functions.
The person in this position will be required to make decisions based on a high level of judgment, typically without guidance from higher management (beyond expected outcomes). Will advise and approve on behalf of the Chair(s) including full signatory authority. Operates independently, with the authority to make operational/procedural decisions within broadly defined parameters from the University, Federal guidelines, Agency guidelines, contract negotiations and all internal/external entities. Interprets external research policies; designs and recommends changes in departmental procedures to remain compliant. Establishes priorities and provides guidance to staff to ensure successful completion of on-going tasks; as well as multiple projects and special assignments. Continuously assesses research administration operations and makes needed changes, frequently contributes to management strategy with regard to the department's missions. Assemble and manipulate the annual Department Budget(s) to accommodate financial thresholds.
This position operates independently and interacts with all levels of university and campus faculty, staff, and students as well as state, federal, and agency personnel; serves as the department(s) liaison with same for planning, discussion, and implementation of policies, budget, building management, oversight, and successive procedures. The Business Manager Chair has direct and/or dotted line responsibility for all staff in both Departments (and/or Centers).
Primary job duties and responsibilities:
- (30%) Provide overall fiscal support and administration for the Departments to include the construction, management and oversight of all budgets and accounts (internal and external). Provide guidance and insure that all Departmental annual increases fall within guidelines and budgetary constraints. Make recommendations to improve and insure the integrity of the Departments financial picture. Supervision of staff: payroll, HR, facilities, faculty/student affairs, procurement, grants, finance, and operations. Acts as the primary representative and point of contact for the Departments in all related matters of business and operations.
- (30%) Manage and direct the daily operations of the Departments including, but not limited to: payroll, purchasing, travel, HR, student affairs, faculty affairs, staffing, strategic initiatives, facilities, and operations. Review and approve all transactions within IUIE, KFS, HRMS, Foundation, Auxiliary accounts, Chrome River, and SIS. Insure all rules, policies and protocols are being used appropriately maintaining the integrity, continuity and flow for uninterrupted services and deployment. Monitor all accounts and balances for appropriate usage and balances.
- (20%) Responsible for all research, grant and contract activity to include pre and post award. Manage and direct the daily activities of all staff in the financial and research functions: select, train, supervise, coach, and evaluate work. Insure all applications are completely accurately and submitted within specified timeframes. Advise all academic/faculty personnel on funding opportunities. Audit and approve expenditures to insure agency and federal compliance. Track grants to insure the accounts are in balance so that the FFR (Final Financial Report) can be submitted and finalized accordingly. Advise faculty on all grant matters before, during and after the award.
- (10%) Ensure policies related to fiscal management are in compliance with university, state, federal, campus, and sponsoring agencies. Serves as Department(s) liaison, committee representative, and primary point of business contact. Attend business officer, CFO, (etc.) meetings. Provide customized reports, analyses and special data requests. Monitor and maintain data collection to insure optimum business operations and the development of metrics for SOP based on historical data and future forecasting.
- (5%) Manage decisions relative to physical space, inventory, and equipment. Monitor construction, renovation and remodeling projects. Insure compliant and adequate IT infrastructure. Oversee general maintenance, environmental service, lab safety, to initiate and authorize service requests and repairs. Provide risk management oversight for all areas.
- (5%) Oversee faculty affairs including promotion & tenure, recruitment, retention, allocation of resources, annual reviews, seminar/speaker series, administrative post, teaching/education, etc. Oversee student affairs to include tuition, fee remission, defense, curriculum, educational progress/tracking, program engagement and enhancement, IBMG, etc.
- All other duties as assigned.
Master's degree and five years of experience; OR bachelor's degree and eight years of related experience in academic and/or finance setting.
Knowledge of finance, fund accounting, and financial reporting analysis. Experience preparing budgets, forecasts, and financial plans. Experience integrating multiple complex pieces of financial information to identify themes, trends, and issues. Experience in a highly regulated organization. Understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment. Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and experience with relational databases. Well-developed managerial, decision-making, planning, organizational, problem-resolution and leadership skills. Proven team-building skills and the ability to foster a collaborative work environment. Excellent communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University. High-level strategic planning skills. Visionary with ability to influence. Ability to negotiate skillfully with both internal and external constituents. Ability to anticipate changes in the business environment and proactively manage change. Superior customer service approach and ability to work effectively with a diverse customer base as evidenced through a successful work history. Strong attention to details, self-direction, and ability to work in a fast-paced office. Ability to multitask with constant interruptions. Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills. Ability to exercise initiative.
Van Nuys Medical Science Building, IUPUI campus
Salary Plan: PAE
Salary Grade: 4AD
Job Function: Finance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information .
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online . You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.
Founded in 1820, Indiana University is the state’s public university system, comprised of two core campuses—IU-Bloomington and IUPUI—and six regional campuses located throughout the state. Combined, the total student population is more than 114,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional school students. IU is one of the largest employers in the state, with over 20,000 faculty and staff. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. Diversity and inclusion remains a core commitment to IU’s mission to cultivate an educational environment that supports equal access, participation and representation on all of its campuses and that provides educational and career opportunities for all.