Research Analyst - Office of Institutional Research - (20001670)
The Office of Institutional Research serves as a resource for the Tufts University community. We provide accurate and timely information to stakeholders across the university, support informed planning and decision-making at all levels, and fulfill key external reporting requirements. We employ an innovative and resourceful staff with expertise in data analysis and survey research, who can communicate the results of their research clearly and effectively.
The Research Analyst, in collaboration with a broad array of university constituents, contributes to the development and execution of all phases of institutional research projects, including design, implementation, analysis, visualization, and report preparation.
* Engage with clients to determine needs and to outline parameters of research studies. Discusses analytical and reporting needs.
* Design research tools for data collection (primarily survey instruments; occasionally interview or focus group protocols). Administer online surveys (occasionally, conduct interviews/focus groups).
* Create reports that summarize data for a variety of audiences. Reports may be written, tabular, oral, or visual (graphs, interactive visualizations in Tableau).
* Investigate, research, gather, analyze and summarize data about various aspects of the institution. Respond to internal and external data requests of varying complexity.
* Serve on university and school committees. Committee topics typically include accreditation and assessment.
* Support the execution of the Institutional Research strategic plan, participate in professional development, and perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent
2-3 years of related experience
Experience with online survey tools, data visualization software, statistical software, and Microsoft Office Suite
Knowledge of survey best practices, research design, statistical analysis, qualitative and quantitative research methods
Effective verbal, written and interpersonal skills
Work effectively on several projects simultaneously
Compose accurate and clearly written reports and documents
Work independently within basic guidelines and parameters and with minimal supervision
Gather and analyze available data and draw logical conclusions
Establish & maintain effective collaborative working team relationships
Engage in proactive problem solving and critical thinking/analysis
Manage complex projects
Meet critical deadlines
Manage multiple assignments and priorities
Must be detail-oriented, possess maturity in judgment, creativity, and the ability to get along with widely diverse personalities; must be able to maintain a high degree of integrity while professionally handling confidential data
Master's degree or higher in program evaluation, education, sociology, psychology, political science, higher education, or related field
Familiarity with higher education issues, IPEDS, assessment, and performance indicators
Experience working with large datasets
Experience with Tableau, Qualtrics, and/or NVIVO
Experience working with student information system data
Experience with Excel and Word Macros
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Institutional Research
Employee Status: Regular Schedule: Full-time
Job Posting: Nov 13, 2020, 8:13:18 PM
Internal Number: 20001670
About Tufts University
Tufts is a leader in American higher education, distinctive for its success as a moderately sized university that excels at research and providing students with a personal experience. Our unique combination of research and liberal arts attracts students, faculty and staff who thrive in our environment of curiosity, creativity and engagement.