Clinical Laboratory Technologist II-IV, Blood Bank (Part Time / Evenings + Weekends) - 2002872
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist in the Blood Bank Department may include the following but are not limited to:
The individual filing this position will perform Blood Bank Technologist duties including but not limited to: performance of routine test analysis, adhere to all departmental policies and protocols, and apply detailed specialized knowledge of scientific principles and their application to perform advanced level testing in general and specific areas in Blood Bank. They must also perform and understand all quality control procedures, review the accuracy of final test reports, recognize routine laboratory problems and identifies the cause, and maintain up to date overall knowledge of this professional field as required to perform normal duties described in this job description. Under the general supervision of the department supervisory staff, the TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II, will have responsibilities for the following duties.
* Will have line responsibility for performance of routine test analysis, must be able to work effectively in the Blood Bank environment and adhere to all departmental policies and protocols.
* Must apply detailed specialized knowledge of scientific principles and their application to perform advanced level testing in general and specific areas in the Blood Bank. This specialized responsibility is inclusive of identification of atypical serum antibodies, analysis of incompatibility, transfusion reaction studies, among others including the generating of all necessary reports for above testing. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
* Performs and understands all quality control procedures as required by departmental protocols. Identifies and insures that all reagents and equipment utilized are within set quality control standards. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
* Reviews the accuracy of final reports, verifying computer print-outs where applicable. Implements new test procedures or new equipment under the direction of the supervisor. TH Clinical Lab Tech II
* Recognizes routine laboratory problems and identifies the cause. Where applicable would take corrective action to remedy such problems through the use of proper laboratory protocol or minor routine equipment repair and adjustments, and bring such problems to the attention of the supervisor. TH Clinical Lab Tech III, II
* Assists the supervising staff in teaching medical technology students and others in both laboratory theory and technique. TH Clinical Lab Tech II
* Maintains up-to-date overall knowledge of this professional field as required to perform normal duties described in this job description. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
* Must have a general knowledge of all standards and regulations that apply specifically to this job position as issued by FDA, NYS Department of Health and other applicable accreditation and regulatory authorities. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
* Maintains and conducts safe laboratory practices as required by the NYS Department of Health and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
* Responsible for the complete understanding and utilization of computer systems applicable to the department including basic maintenance and troubleshooting procedures that are conducted on a day to day basis. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II.
* May be required to fill in for the shift supervisor during his/her absence. The Clinical Lab Tech II must be thoroughly familiar with all administrative policies and procedures in addition to all technical procedures. Application of all these policies must be completely understood to accomplish this substitute supervisory function. TH Clinical Lab Tech II.
* Under the direction of the shift supervisor, is responsible for the performance of all emergency test procedures required in life threatening situations. Must be able to perform these functions independently in the absence of the supervisor and must be able to independently initiate the Blood Bank Disaster plan in the event of a community disaster and in the absence of the supervisor. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
Required Qualifications: Bachelors' of Science degree in Medical Technology/Biological or Life Sciences. NYS License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility.
Preferred Qualifications: MT (ASCP) Certification and/or Blood Bank certification. Working knowledge of HCLL Transfusion. Experience with Blood Bank automated Blood Bank inclusive of Immucor NEO/ECHO.
Special Notes: Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Posting Overview: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
This function/position maybe designated as "essential." This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
* The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here .
Official Job Title: TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist III
Job Field: Laboratory
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Blood Bank, Department of Laboratories-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Part-time Shift: Evening Shift Shift Hours: Friday (3-11), Sat (4-midnight) and every other Sunday (4-midnight) Pass Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu
Posting Start Date: Feb 18, 2021
Posting End Date: May 20, 2021, 3:59:00 AM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL2
Internal Number: 2002872
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.