Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer and Vice President - (200000ZL)
The Vice President and Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer is a cabinet-level position that reports directly to the President of UMB. Working in close coordination with the provost/executive vice president and collaboratively and in partnership with the deans and vice presidents, the CDEIO/VP is responsible for stewarding UMB's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; catalyzing the institutional change necessary for deepening and strengthening that commitment; and for designing and operationalizing a transparent accountability framework to measure and evaluate the impact and effectiveness of the University's DEI initiatives at every level of the institution. The ideal candidate for this newly created cabinet-level position will be an accomplished servant leader with a demonstrable ability to inspire and motivate faculty, staff, students, and other stakeholders to embrace a culture rich in diversity and to be relentless advocates for equity and inclusion. The ideal candidate will be a proactive and strategic advocate, partner, and leader who will develop constructive relationships with faculty, staff, administration, students, alumni, and other university and community stakeholders.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore has retained the search firm of Isaacson, Miller to assist in the search for the Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer.
Demonstrated track record in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies that promote success for students and employees in a complex higher education environment;
* A deep understanding, awareness, and sensitivity to the experiences of marginalized people, and an understanding of the national trends and issues on diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education;
* An experienced agent for change with experience in organizational development;
* Demonstrated ability to build coalition with and mobilize leaders within a large, decentralized university;
* A seasoned administrator with experience leading programs to new levels of excellence, impact, and innovation;
* An experienced leader accustomed to effectively engage with local community leaders, as well as with government officers and business executives;
* A skillful budget executive who can maximize impact and results through responsible and careful stewardship of funds and resources;
* Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong communication skills and the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and discretion;
* Ability to thrive in a highly fluid, fast-paced, change-oriented environment;
Demonstrated cultural humility and respectful attitude towards individuals of diverse cultures and orientations;
* Demonstrated commitment to and advocacy for self-evaluation/self-reflection to learn more about identities, systems and influences of power, privilege, and oppression;
* A person of great energy, enthusiasm, and integrity, capable of exercising a high degree of diplomacy and discretion;
* An earned doctorate or other terminal degree is strongly preferred in one of the professions offered at UMB;
* Demonstrated experience in social justice, education, sociology, public administration, human resource management, or related field;
* Five years of experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion roles, though truly outstanding candidates with substantial experience will be considered.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff - e4703z
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Shift: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: Yes
Organization: Office of the President, UMB
Job Posting: Oct 21, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Internal Number: 159863
About University of Maryland, Baltimore
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, global health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.