Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
The Department of Social Science invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in Criminal Justice for the 2021-2022 academic year.
• This position will require program planning and development, course and program assessment, and curricular and course review.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College; including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities and other cross functional teams.
• Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom.
• Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention.
• Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population.
• Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession.
• Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.
• Master's degree or higher in Criminal Justice, Public Safety, juris doctor or Criminology.
• Demonstrated teaching experience at the post-secondary level with a variety of live and online Criminal Justice courses, and experience with curriculum and course development required.
• Commitment to promoting student success beyond the classroom and demonstrate a willingness to contribute in significant ways to the life of the department and the college.
• Skilled in instructional technology, including experience in teaching web-based courses.
• Must be flexible in scheduling and able to work day and/or evening at multiple campuses, if needed.
• Master's degree in Criminal Justice.
• Work experience in the field of criminal justice.
• Teaching experience at an urban community college.
• Connections to the Philadelphia criminal justice community.
Work Location Main Campus
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Salary Grade or Rank Rank 5 or Rank 6
Position Type Faculty
Employment Status Full-Time
Internal Number: 124851504
About Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is the largest public institution of higher education in the City. Since 1965, over 500,000 students have passed through our doors seeking associate's degrees, certificates, improved workplace skills and lifelong learning. Many of our degree students transfer to four-year institutions while others seek employment in the Philadelphia region. Over 90 percent of our graduates remain in the area and seek employment, strengthening our local economy and workforce. Local businesses look to us to provide workplace training to keep their workers skilled and their companies competitive.
We offer over 70 degree and certificate programs in art, science, business, technology and liberal arts. Many of our students have hectic schedules, and we know how to accommodate every type of learner. Classes are held during the day, in the evening and on Saturdays at the Main Campus, our three Regional Centers and at neighborhood sites throughout the City. Distance education classes are also available.