Primary Function Administers job classification program at the University of Minnesota to retain a world-class workforce. Ensures the reclassification process complies with all appropriate laws and regulations, labor practices, and collective bargaining agreements.
Classification Duties (80%) · Review job descriptions to determine proper classification using a variety of classification tools, including point factor and whole-job position analysis methods
· Ensure classification decisions are made in a timely manner
· Interview employees, managers, and HR staff to ensure work is accurately reflected in documentation as needed
· Review job descriptions and determine appropriate FLSA status.
· Respond to classification questions from managers and employees
· Interpret contract language and employment policies related to classification for managers, employees and human resources partners
· Prepare, process and represent the University of Minnesota in appeals of classification decisions
· Collaborate with college and unit HR teams to provide information, training, and expert guidance to ensure consistency and proper classification across the university
· Identify and implement opportunities for continuous improvement to ensure the classification system supports the overall recruiting and retention strategy
· Maintain records of classification determinations and related information
Compensation Duties (20%)
· Participate in salary surveys on behalf of the University · Assist with other compensation related projects
Qualifications Required: BA/BS degree or a combination of post-high school education and/or relevant human resources experience to total at least four years. (HR Pro 1) BA/BS degree or a combination of post-high school education and/or relevant human resources experience to total at least six years. (HR Pro 2)
Preferred: Experience with job analysis/evaluation of exempt and non-exempt positions; writing job descriptions, advising/interpreting human resources policies and procedures.
Customer service, negotiation, critical thinking, and independent problem-solving skills.
Proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
Internal Number: 337880
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.