Academic/Faculty, Other - Academic/Faculty, Physical Sciences
The Department of Athletic Training at The University of Texas Permian Basin seeks an Academic Chair and Program Director to transition the current the undergraduate Athletic Training program to a new Master’s in Athletic Training (MAT). The department seeks a candidate with demonstrated leadership, organizational, and communication skills to lead the transition and build a new MAT program. The successful candidate must be committed to student success, teaching excellence, and to an active research agenda involving athletic training graduate students. This position may carry an initial tenure appointment and will begin with the 2021-2022 academic year.
This is a nine-month, tenured or tenure-track position at the rank of associate or full professor.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: • Serve as Academic Chair and Program Director for the BAT/MAT
• Teach courses in the BAT/MAT based on program needs and specialization
• Mentor and support undergraduate students; mentor and support graduate students in patient-care and other relevant areas of research leading to nationally/internationally refereed publications and presentations
• Provide academic advising to students
• Engage in service to the department, college, university and profession • Recruit students to the new graduate program
• Oversee clinical education in collaboration with the Clinical Education Coordinator, and other program faculty/staff as needed
• Maintain CAATE accreditation through day-to-day operation, yearly program review, and self-study/site visit actions involving the new MAT
The Department of Athletic Training is an academic unit within the College of Health Sciences and Human Performance. The Athletic Training Department is located in the J. Kirk Edwards Family Human Performance Center (opened fall 2020). In addition to the academic office suite, there are four dedicated clinical laboratories including an exercise physiology lab, a sport and exercise psychology lab, an athletic training lab, and a biomechanics lab, along with two large classrooms.
Please include all required documents with your submission.
Unofficial transcripts of all college work are acceptable for purposes of the application. Official transcripts are required upon hire.
The University offers an excellent compensation package which includes a broad range of employee benefits including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
UTPB participates in e-Verify.
• Earned doctorate (e.g., PhD, EdD, DAT) from a regionally accredited institution in a science-based discipline; or practice specific doctorate • BOC Certified • Eligibility for licensure in the state of Texas • Three years of clinical experience • Leadership/supervision/management experience • Demonstrated record of research and external funding • Experience in curriculum development and program evaluation • Experience in University teaching
• Athletic Training program administration experience • Secondary area of teaching expertise to serve departmental needs • Evidence of mentoring student research • Evidence of professional service at state, regional, national, and/or international level
Internal Number: F104P
About University of Texas of the Permian Basin
The only university named after a geological formation, The University of Texas Permian Basin is a University of Texas System institution, which includes nine academic universities and six health institutions statewide. Surrounded by one of the largest oilfields in the country, UTPB is home to over 5,500 students and approximately 250 teaching faculty. Located in Odessa, Texas, the University has an impact of nearly $250 million on the regional economy and is recognized for its affordability, awarding roughly $15 million in financial aid annually. With 35 undergraduate and 18 graduate programs of study to choose from – as well as the flexibility of fully on-line undergraduate and graduate degree programs – the University consistently ranks among the top 5 Texas public universities for students employed or accepted in graduate/professional school within one year of graduation. At UTPB, you get it all: the small-campus feel with the might of The University of Texas System.
As a regional, comprehensive institution, The University of Texas Permian Basin serves a diverse community of students from the region, the state, and beyond. Through excellence in student-centered teaching, lear...ning, research, and public service, the University cultivates engaged citizens and impacts lives while advancing technology and the public interests of West Texas. The University aspires to be a vibrant student-focused center of excellence for learning, culture, and economic development, preparing students for leadership and success in a complex and changing world. We invite you to learn more about us at: www.utpb.edu.
The University of Texas Permian Basin values the great variety of intellectual and cultural perspectives that contribute to our success. We strongly believe that our future depends heavily on our ability to embrace diversity and leverage the strength of inclusion. The University prohibits unlawful discrimination against a person because of their race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation and gender identity. The University's commitment to equal opportunity extends its nondiscrimination protections to gender expression. The Office of Human Resources prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability. If you require an accommodation in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 432-552-2747. Note: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires The University of Texas Permian Basin to employ only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. New employees must present documents verifying identity and right to accept employment.
UTPB participates in E-Verify.