This position is Editorial Assistant to the Editor-in-Chief of the journal IEEE Transactions on Robotics. The position is 20 hours/week. The position will be an initial one year term appointment, with reappointment contingent on the availability of funds.
strong capability with Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
some familiarity with google docs and sheets
good writing and communication skills
familiarity with computing in general, editing web pages, social media, and graphics software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, video editing software) is a plus.
- Working closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Kevin Lynch, to ensure the timely and quality publication of six journal issues per year.
- Managing the paper submission, reviewing, and publication process through a user interface to an online database.
- Working with the editorial board and reviewers to make sure the review process keeps to schedule.
- Reviewing submissions for possible plagiarism.
- Managing email communications on behalf of the Editorial Office.
- Assigning paper revisions to appropriate editors.
- Compiling statistics and preparing reports and presentations for board meetings.
- Helping with arrangements for twice-yearly board meetings.
- Working with affiliated conferences to manage the paper flow between the journal and the conferences.
- Other duties as needed to support the Editor-in-Chief
Specific Responsibilities: Documents & Databases
Independently responds to and composes correspondence.
Creates and maintains standard spreadsheets and/or databases.
Prepares queries, reports, statistics, tables, charts, etc. based on information compiled from various sources.
Determines format, elements, trends, etc.
Maintains websites and/or blogs.
Creates new web pages and/or updates standard information/data within the application’s content management program.
Approves appropriate expenses, purchases and reimbursements per budget.
Processes and reconciles expenses, accounting transfers, and/or appropriation changes.
Responds to inquiries.
Provides basic interpretation of policies and procedures.
Researches information to resolve problems or issues.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: A high school diploma or equivalent required. 4 years of administrative support or other relevant experience required.
Minimum Competencies: Intermediate knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs is required.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Internal Number: 39269
About Northwestern University
Northwestern University is a major private research university with 12 academic divisions located on three campuses in Evanston, Chicago, and Education City in Doha, Qatar. We have approximately 2,500 full-time faculty members, 17,000 graduate and undergraduate students, and over 5,700 full and part-time staff. Northwestern University combines innovative teaching and pioneering research in a highly collaborative environment. It provides students and faculty exceptional opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional growth.