Job Type: Staff Job Description: General Responsibility The Standardized Patient reports directly to the Medical Director and Assistant Director of the Clinical Skills and Simulation Center (CSSC). The major responsibility of this position is to portray all the characteristics of a real patient, simulating the signs and symptoms. Standardized patients will often be physically examined by students and faculty as part of the medical students learning experience.
* Be highly dependable and punctual
* Demonstrate flexibility and reliability with scheduling and assignments
* Follow written and verbal instruction * Provide constructive feedback to medical students and colleagues
* Work in a professional manner when interacting with learners, faculty, supervisors and peers
* Be comfortable having repeated physical examination maneuvers performed on self
* Be willing to wear a hospital gown with only undergarments underneath, while on camera and/or observed live through an observation window or video monitor
* Simulate all aspects of scenarios, including history of current problem, affect/behavior and physical findings, in a standardized, accurate, and reliable manner * Accurately and consistently complete checklists
* Accept ongoing feedback from facilitators and incorporate into case simulation
* Be willing to be audio and videotaped during simulations
* Other duties as assigned.
As Needed Work
Schedule Flexible Hours, (include the title and position number of the supervisor, type of supervision, and scope of supervision received)
Diploma or equivalent is required.
Must be flexible regarding scheduling and assignments.
Must have the ability to understand and follow instructions.
Must demonstrate the ability to be instructed by a Standardized Patient Educator and consistently simulate a case scenario in an accurate, reliable and professional manner.
Applicants with acting experience are encouraged to apply, though this is not an obligatory skill set.
Experience with software programs including MS office required. Experience with Educational Management Solutions (EMS) preferred.
Must possess strong communication skills, both written and spoken.
Must have strong reading and writing skills to absorb and use the detailed case training and exam procedural information.
Must have excellent recall of learner performance.
Attention to detail is essential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
KCU is committed to promoting an equal employment opportunity workplace. Equal opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information (GINA), physical or mental disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, ancestry, military and/or veteran status, and/or any other status protected by applicable Federal, state or local law.
Annual Security Report
KCU is committed to providing a safe campus for students, faculty, and staff. Our annual campus security report lists campus crimes and statistics for the campus and public areas around campus for the last three years, in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.
Thank you for your interest in a career at KCU!
Internal Number: R-0001214
About Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (KCUMB)
For nearly 100 years, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences has been committed to a primary purpose – the education and training of caring, compassionate osteopathic physicians. Today, that purpose has grown to include training students in bioethics and biomedical sciences. At KCU, we: - Provide the second-largest number of physicians in Missouri and Kansas - Alleviate physician workforce shortages nationally, with 58 percent of our more than 7,100 practicing alumni in primary care specialties - Deliver much-needed medical care in underserved areas, with 19 percent of alumni practicing in rural care nationwideLearn more at www.kcumb.edu.