The Nurse Coordinator will demonstrate a sound knowledge base and decision making ability in direct provision of effective and comprehensive nursing care for designated patient population.
1. Assess patients before administration of contrast material for MRI procedures or other imaging studies. Monitor patients throughout the procedure. Obtain appropriate history including allergies.
2. Establish intravenous access for contrast administration.
3. Provide safe and accurate administration of MRI and CT contrast, radioactive material, medication, intravenous fluids in accordance with physician orders and nursing standards.
4. Perform physical, psychological and cognitive status assessments of patients. Perform POC testing for Glucose, Creatinine, and Pregnancy
5. Monitor patient while in the imaging area for change in status and implement appropriate intervention; contact physician if needed.
6. Explain procedure; assess patient's pregnancy status if needed. Initiate care and discharge plan for patient's pre and post imaging procedures.
7. Identifies and corrects problems as appropriate with all critical occurrences reported to the next level of authority.
8. Responsible for maintaining required checklist for equipment and medication related to patient care.
9. Maintenance of Cardiac Arrest cart, defibrillator, EKG machine, BP machine, pulse ox and medical gases etc.
10. Order and store medication and supplies related to patient care.
11. Evaluate patients prophylactically medicated for Claustrophobia, Contrast Allergy. Ensure patients pre-medicated have escort home.
12. Evaluate daily patient schedule and ensure all the Lab records, any related imaging reports are available. Document all aspects of care in the patient's need, problem, capabilities, and limitations as reflective of plan of care and response to the care.
13. Follow Radiation Safety /EHS/ Safety guidelines set by the Institution.
14. Responsible for the administration of contrast material, assessing vital signs, blood draws, management, monitoring, and evaluation of patient care, protocols, and patient care programs that apply to research participants. Primary duties include: establish, implement, and monitor patient care standards; direct, coordinate, and monitor research protocol and research team activities. Responsible for monitoring Arterial line on the Research participants if needed.
15. Collaborates with MRI and PET Center staff and faculty to ensure proper communication.
16. Ensures that all patient, patient's family, as well as coworkers receive prompt attention and are treated with respect no matter how limited the contact.
17. Conforms to all applicable HIPAA, OSHA, Billing Compliance and safety guidelines.
18. Ensures service excellence by becoming familiar with "Seven Principles of Behavior" and putting them into practice in carrying out job responsibilities.
19. Provide coverage in other practice sites, as needed.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.
Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus four years of related experience.
New York State RN license and a minimum of two years of Radiology experience.
BCL, ACLS and PALS preferred. Radiology MRI /CT and PET experience preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Internal Number: 508034
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.