Vascular Access Team is a team of specialized registered nurses that provide an expert level of nursing care related to vascular access services. This includes venous evaluation, both pre and post venous access, device placement and ongoing monitoring .Consultation regarding appropriate line placement and vessel preservation with other members of the healthcare team is a vital function of this department VAST nurses care for patients in all clinical settings at the Medical Centers Main campus.
The Clinical Nursing Director will plan and manage the clinical and administrative operations of Vascular Access Team. Assure implementation of patient care and quality assurance standards; and to plan, organize and evaluate clinical practice and educational activities in collaboration with other members of the Nursing community. Participate in planning, development and implementation of unit policies, goals and objective and standard of nursing practice. Counsel and evaluate the performance and clinical practice of the nursing staff. This includes staff development programs, unit orientation to ensure compliance with practice standards. Identify and resolve unit operational problems. Represent the unit on assigned clinical area and Hospital committees. Maintain compliance with Federal and State regulations regarding affirmative action, safety and patient care. Actively collaborate in the development of annual budgets; manage and provide variance reporting of activity, payroll, commodity, & capital budgets; participate in the new program development & implementation; work closely with relevant physicians to promote and foster a clinical care environment that strives to deliver the ideal patient care experience for our patients. Provide administrative/management leadership personnel management.
1. Develop and implement unit goals and objectives which include the establishment of standards of practice in patient care consisted with national professional and regulatory guidelines.
2. Integrate unit goals and objectives with Nursing Service goals and objectives. Advise and assist with the establishment of priorities and institutional program development.
3. Work closely with medical staff and other disciplines for the successful implementation of patient, department and institutional objectives. Assist in the resolution of interdisciplinary operating problems.
4. Supervise operations of the department. Establish minimum/maximum staffing patterns to insure quality patient care. Initiate and implement a staffing schedule which is consistent with care requirements and responds to varying patient activity and patient mix.
5. Identify and recommend specific staffing needs and position qualifications consistent with the respective unit objectives and patient case mix.
6. Interview and select qualified personnel.
7. Evaluate performance of nursing staff responsible to patient care unit. Make recommendations for merit awards and personnel classification changes. Counsel and discipline nursing staff to enable achievement of unit and institutional objectives, particularly as related to high quality patient care.
8. Interpret and implement University and hospital personnel policies and programs and ensure their uniform and correct application.
9. Project and monitor personnel budget for patient care unit. Provide information regarding budget variances to Associate Chief Nursing Officer.
10. Collaborate and coordinate with other disciplines to plan, evaluate, and implement the commodity and revenue budget for the patient care unit.
11. Collaborate with staff and department educator to initiate and implement in-service guidelines for unit level orientation and staff development. Encourage and provide opportunities for continuing education of the nursing staff.
12. Initiate, plan, analyze, and participate in Nursing staff development programs and workshops.
13. Participate in concurrent and retrospective evaluation of patient care consistent with the hospital quality assurance program. Through this review process, evaluate and recommend changes and improvements in areas affecting the quality of patient care.
14. Establish guidelines with the nursing faculty, which support the institutional goal of providing the primary clinical environment for nursing students. Facilitate, coordinate, and monitor the clinical experience of nursing and other students.
15. Initiate and cooperate in the applied research in health care in keeping with the institutional objectives of maintaining prominence in developing new modes of clinical practice.
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
Master's degree in Nursing or Health Care Administration, Public Health, Business or related field (a Juris Doctor degree may be considered). If Master's degree is not in Nursing, a Bachelor's degree in Nursing is required.
Two (2) years recent leadership experience, to include demonstrated leadership, management, communication, counseling, problem solving, decision making, conflict resolution and group process skills
Minimum of five (5) years of nursing experience with demonstration of progressive clinical competence
NOTE: In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Two (2) years recent supervisory experience in a healthcare setting; preferably in a vascular access setting
Minimum of five (5) years of nursing experience with demonstration of progressive clinical competence in an inpatient hospital setting
2 years recent, hands-on experience working with Vascular Access devices.
Interest based problem solving and negotiations
Familiar with the continuous quality improvement process is desirable
Demonstrated leadership and management skills including personnel management and the ability to perform as a role model for nursing staff
Experience with change management process is desirable
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Hours: 40 hours/week Shift: Shift and hours will vary based on unit needs Location: UH: Vascular Access Team
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 184796
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.