Reporting to the Student Health Service Medical Director, the Physician works in the Student Health Service as a comprehensive primary care and urgent care provider. The physician will collaborate with other health professionals to provide comprehensive and high quality care for a population of 12,000 students at the University of Chicago. There are opportunities to develop expertise around woman care, clinical office administration, travel medicine or other interests a candidate may propose.
This is a 12-month position. This is a full-time position with occasional weekend and evening hours.
1) Perform comprehensive history and physical exams
2) Make appropriate orders for diagnostic testing
3) Conduct evidence-based diagnosis and management
4) Prescribe appropriate medications and therapeutic interventions
5) Adhere to professional guidelines and best practices including those created at University of Chicago Medicine
6) Perform health maintenance and prevention
7) Assess, manage and do appropriate referrals of students with mental health problems within the usual and customary scope of primary care
8) Complete office-based minor surgical procedures, including but not limited to suturing of lacerations and incision and drainage of abscesses
9) Complete timely documentation and dictation of patient encounters; patient education in the context of primary care
10) Collaborate with, coach and supervise mid-level providers
11) Participate in departmental and University activities as assigned
12) Participation in off campus programs.
1) General knowledge of the developmental and maturity challenges of adolescents and young adults
2) Ability to demonstrate a high level of sensitivity in situations of confidentiality and discretion
3) Qualified to have an appointment as a Clinical Associate in the Department of Medicine
1) M.D. or D.O. from an accredited medical school
2) Timely and complete satisfaction of disciplinary and State continuing education requirements
1) At least two years of primary care experience
2) Experience working with a college age population
2) Eligibility for a current unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Illinois
3) Completion of an accredited residency in a primary care specialty (Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics or Internal Medicine)
4) Board Certification in the appropriate primary care specialty
5) DEA registration
6) Current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
7) Maintenance of board certification and up-to-date medical skills
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via the Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR08559
About University of Chicago (UC)
One of the world's premier academic and research institutions, the University of Chicago has driven new ways of thinking since our 1890 founding. Today, UChicago is an intellectual destination that draws inspired scholars to our Hyde Park and international campuses, keeping UChicago at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change the world.