Contracts Officer or Analyst - Office of Sponsored Programs-2015310
: Carnegie Mellon University is dedicated to building and disseminating knowledge through research and education. The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) contributes directly to this mission by providing comprehensive support to faculty and staff in the administration of externally sponsored research and education. The Contracts Team, within OSP, assists faculty and researchers in completing agreements with sponsors and other parties (both corporations, and the government). Additionally, the OSP Contracts Team supports faculty and staff with questions on issues such as intellectual property, confidentiality, publications, and any other contractual concerns.
OSP is seeking a Contracts Officer or Contracts Analyst (dependent upon experience) to join the team. Under the general direction of the Senior Contracts Officer, Associate Director and/or the Executive Director, you will prepare, review and negotiate a wide variety of agreements and other documents related to sponsored research and education in this role.
Core responsibilities of both Contracts Officers and Analysts include:
* Initiating the contract process with faculty and/or other parties, and shepherding agreements though the full lifecycle from concept to completion. * Identifying issues for approval by various internal compliance partners, and moving agreements through approval process. * Reviewing legal and contractual issues of proposed agreements. Revising and negotiating agreements to comply with Carnegie Mellon University policies and relevant laws, and reducing institutional risk. * Monitoring and documenting communications with stakeholders and the contract negotiation lifecycle. * Assisting other functional units within OSP with proposals, awards and subcontracts. * Providing guidance to stakeholders on related matters. * Managing special projects and other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
The Contracts Officer's responsibilities also include:
* Supporting and mentoring junior contracts staff in their agreement review and negotiations. * Acting as the primary point of contact for a designated constituency and managing the constituency team's assigned agreement workload. * Maintaining a thorough understanding of current federal regulations as they relate to OSP agreements. * Working collaboratively with other University business units assisting in discussions and providing guidance on engagements with potential sponsors. * Present training programs for University community.
* Bachelor's degree is required. * Contract Analyst experience requirement: One (1) year of drafting, revising and negotiating contracts * Contract Officer experience requirement: Three (3) years experience of drafting, revising and negotiating contracts.
* Master's degree/JD/MBA * Certified Research Administrator (CRA)
* Experience in research administration or higher education
Flexibility, collaboration, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within Carnegie Mellon. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively work well with a dynamic population of partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
* Strong oral and written communications skills * Initiative, flexibility, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment * Excellent organizational, time management and analytical skills * Confidentiality and tact in all areas of responsibility * The Contracts Officer should demonstrate relevant working knowledge of common contract terms in academic research; including but not limited to, intellectual property and licensing, indemnification/liability, disclaimers, confidentiality, and publication.
Are you passionate about this opportunity? Please apply.
More Information :
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job Function: Legal / Contracts
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Education Level: Master's Degree or equivalent
Internal Number: 2015310
About Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon (www.cmu.edu) is a private, internationally ranked research university with programs in areas ranging from science, technology and business, to public policy, the humanities and the arts. More than 12,000 students in the university’s seven schools and colleges benefit from a small student-to-faculty ratio and an education characterized by its focus on creating and implementing solutions for real problems, interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation. A global university, Carnegie Mellon’s main campus in the United States is in Pittsburgh, Pa. It has campuses in California’s Silicon Valley and Qatar, and programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Mexico.