The University of Maryland,Baltimore County(UMBC)Counseling Center is seeking a Counselor/Referral Coordinator to join a talented multidisciplinary Counseling Center and Health Center team committed to inclusion, respect, responsiveness, innovation, and quality.This 12-month, full time continuing position provides services designed to minimize the impact of mental illness or emotional distress on the academic and personal pursuits of students through coordination of referrals to outside providers and community resources (including social and economic resources) and other duties such crisis services, time-limited therapy,group therapy and outreach.This position will report to the Counseling Center Associate Director and work closely with staff from across Student Affairs and the campus.
Specific duties include:
Maintain, and monitor a referrals system to provide continuity of care and follow-up for clients
Assist students with referrals to community resources(including social and economic resources)and facilitating access to higher levels of care (including coordination of hospitalizations)
Follow up to ensure that clients are appropriately assessed and successfully referred
Initiate and develop on-going liaison relationships with community health providers, services, hospitals, and other resources
Provide daytime and on-call crisis services and after hours on-call coverage as part of a rotation
Consult with faculty, staff, students, and family members, who are concerned about a student
Provide direct time-limited individual and, group counseling, outreach services, and supervision to trainees, depending on case management demands
Perform other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
This position requires a masters or doctoral degree in social work, clinical psychology, counseling psychology or counseling. Must be an LCSW-C, LCPC or Licensed Psychologist or Maryland license eligible.
(1) Experience in referrals coordination.
(2) Knowledge of and/or experience with a wide variety of mental health services such as in-patient care and the private practice community.
(3) Knowledge of and/or experience with public and private health insurances.
(4) Experience in college mental health, including crisis assessment, brief intervention,confidentiality requirements, and referral.
(5) Administrative and computer application skills required to effectively use and maintain a case management and tracking system,
(6) Demonstrated skill in working well under pressure to prioritize and manage multiple clinical situations and to coordinate these efforts as a part of a multidisciplinary team,
(7) Energy to flexibly manage the professional demands of a challenging workload while maintaining positive and healthy perspectives and relationships,
(8) Collaborative spirit of warmth, acceptance, respect, and trust towards colleagues,
(9) Demonstrated sensitivity to multicultural issues and proven ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups,
(10) Self-motivated, self-directed commitment to high professional ideals,
(11) Excellent oral and written communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Screening of Applications Begins:
For best consideration submit application materials by June 21, 2020 (applications will be accepted until the position is filled).
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
UMBC offers a benefits package for regular and grant-funded regular employees including generous leave, excellent health, life, and disability insurance, retirement plans, tuition remission, on-site preschool, and numerous professional development and wellness opportunities. Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Please note the Type and FLSA Status above to determine the benefits offered for this position.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Internal Number: 493226
About University of Maryland, Baltimore County
UMBC is a dynamic public research university integrating teaching, research and service to benefit the citizens of Maryland. As an Honors University, the campus offers academically talented students a strong undergraduate liberal arts foundation that prepares them for graduate and professional study, entry into the workforce, and community service and leadership. UMBC emphasizes science, engineering, information technology, human services and public policy at the graduate level. UMBC contributes to the economic development of the State and the region through entrepreneurial initiatives, workforce training, K-16 partnerships, and technology commercialization in collaboration with public agencies and the corporate community. UMBC is dedicated to cultural and ethnic diversity, social responsibility and lifelong learning.