The Department of Languages at The New School is seeking qualified candidates for part-time instructors to teach beginning through intermediate languages courses in Japanese. Selected applicants will be interviewed and offers will be made on a course-by-course basis since positions are part-time. The department will review applications on a rolling-basis twice a year.
For a faculty member to be qualified to teach in the Languages Department, he or she must meet the following criteria.
Responsibilities: Attend Mandated Section Meetings Comply with university and departmental procedural requirements Collaborate with Chair, Section Coordinator, and Section faculty on initiatives and assessment
(1) Have native or near-native fluency in the target language at the Superior-level or above; based on the criteria established by ACTFL, the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages; and
(2) Hold a Master's degree in the target language (preferred) or a graduate degree at the Master's level or above and evidence of successful teaching experience at the college-level in the proposed language; and
(3) Must have knowledge of and be able to use current pedagogies on the teaching of languages; and
(4) Must be involved in professional development as a language teacher; and
(5) Must be proficient in or adaptable to technologies associated with language teaching in order to utilize language textbook programs and to successfully integrate authentic media materials into teaching.
Additional qualifications may be required depending on the particular course, including its level.
Preferred qualifications include:
- experience teaching on online platforms (synchronous, asynchronous, hybrid); – experience with the communicative approach to teaching and learning languages at the college level; and experience with the integration of learning technology into the language classroom.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications should be submitted via the university portal (and should include).
Required for application submission: - CV - Cover Letter - Statement of teaching (philosophy) - 3 professional references including name, title and email address - Teaching evaluations pertaining to two college courses.
Part-time faculty at The New School bargain collectively through Academics Come Together, ACT-UAW, Local 7902.
Internal Number: 14304
About The New School
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.