Allied Health - Staff/Administrative, Staff/Administrative
Position Title: Financial Services Staff Assistant
Classification Title: FT Staff Non Union
City/Campus: Detroit - Corktown
Department: Dental Clinic
Position Status: Full Time
As a member of the Patient Services team, this position is designed to assist with responsibilities in patient financial services, patient telecommunications, and patient reception as needed. This position is designed to assist with increasing demands in the department and cover staff shortages due to illness, vacations, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Assist with cashiering responsibilities of accepting and posting patient payments and scheduling patient appointments as necessary.
(2) Assist with patient registration. Assure proper registration including verification and recording of all insurance information.
(3) Assist in approving and reviewing treatment plans with patients.
(4) Allocate insurance and other third party payments to patient accounts.
(5) Assist in patient financial account audits and adjustments as necessary.
(6) Assist the appointment center in scheduling/confirming appointments, answering incoming calls, and sending messages to Patient Care Coordinators an students when necessary.
(7) Assist the front receptionist in checking in patients with appointments, managing the walk in emergency schedule, and directing all patients and visitors to the appropriate areas.
(8) Review and verify daily deposits for accuracy.
(9) Assist in processing monthly adjustments and refunds per patients/insurance request.
(10) Assist in filing and retrieving patient explanation of benefits for auditing and billing purposes.
(11) Assist in reviewing and correcting students patients accounts prior to student’s graduation.
(12) Act as a source of information regarding patient finance to faculty, staff, students, and patients.
(13) All other duties as assigned.
A two-year college degree or completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school.
(1) Six months to two years of experience.
(2) Knowledge of dental terminology and CDT codes.
(5) Ability to work independently within a team environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(1) Basic accounting and/or math skills.
(2) Excellent customer service skills.
(3) Quality communicational skills.
(4) Basic computer skills (keyboarding and use of PC).
(5) Cash management and preparation of daily deposits.
(6) Must be able to prioritize tasks, responsibilities and flexibility to accommodate the needs of the department.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Open Date: 03/19/2020
Salary/Pay Information: $17.40 based on experience and knowledge.
Anticipated Schedule: Monday-Friday; 40 hours per week with Varied hours between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SF9770-CL001-0618-1216
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.