As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT) is a $270M initiative to replace the University’s financial systems with an integrated system to manage the full suite of financial transactions and reporting needs in the UW system – to include academic, administrative, and healthcare. UWFT will fundamentally change the processes and tools that the University employs to track, spend, collect, manage, and report University finances in excess of $7B in annual revenues, resulting in more timely and actionable information for leadership. Among the UW’s highest administrative priorities, this multi-year initiative is one of the largest finance system projects in Washington State and the outcome of the program will be highly visible at all levels of the University and the state.
The UW Finance Transformation Program has an excellent opportunity for a Business Process Lead. This recruitment may fill additional openings.
This position is primarily responsible for leading the design of end-to-end business process in (assigned process area), end-to-end business process by ensuring that the full business process (inside and outside of Workday) is optimally designed to meet the business need. The Business Process Lead will report to the Design Manager, and work closely with the Configuration Lead, who is responsible for ensuring business process design decisions are appropriately translated into Workday transactional configuration. This position will also work closely with the team responsible for establishing the post go-live operating model structure to ensure end-to-end business processes are well understood and mapped to meet the business need. The Business Process Lead will develop the future state end-to-end business processes and drive transformation in the assigned process area. This position will principally be responsible for the following key elements for : 1) Provide key inputs to develop future state enabled process flows that are fully tested and validated, 2) Refine the Operating Model based on Workday Design, 3) Lead the process transformation teams, which are comprised of stakeholders and end users who will partner with the program to provide input and requirements, and 4) Coordinate and participate in end user readiness activities, to include user acceptance testing (UAT), training, aligning with and providing inputs to change management team/process, and knowledge transfer activities. Further, this position will cultivate effective relationships with departmental leaders across the university and the medical centers, working with users to ensure optimal end-to-end business process design.
Functional and Technical Leadership
- Lead end-to-end business process design development to ensure that future state process flows meet the transformation goals of the UWFT program, and the business needs of the UW/UW Medicine
- Collaborate closely with Shared Services Delivery team, confirming that future state business processes are optimally configured in Workday and operational in the future state, local, regional and enterprise shared service hubs
- Provide inputs to the operating model based on Workday Design, ensuring structure remains consistent with how processes will be executed in a Workday enabled environment
- Facilitate design, creation, and implementation of future state policies and guidelines according to the agreed upon future process, ensuring that policies are updated and translated into the end-to-end business process and the operating model framework
- Lead business teams comprised of stakeholders and end users who will partner with the program teams to provide input on requirements and design/implementation decisions relative to (e.g> via Process Transformation Teams, Advisory Groups or Teams, etc.)
- Coordinate and participate in developing training/change management content/materials that will be utilized by the Organizational Change Management (OCM) team to support end user adoption; support UAT activities and knowledge transfer to end users and transactional specialists in the post go-live support model
- Coordinate and participate in developing and executing end-to-end testing within the process area, and across all business processes to ensure seamless experience for end users
- Lead, coordinate and participate in University design workshops (e.g. development of business process and role documents, reviews impact assessment, assists in the identification of gaps)
- Ensure varying business needs across the UW/UW Medicine enterprise are acknowledged as end-to-end business processes are developed and implemented
- Direct and/or supervise the work team members to ensure deliverables are met (e.g. Business Analysts, Intern)
- Ability to hold people accountable, recommend disciplinary actions if necessary
- Provide overall leadership and contribute subject matter expertise for and oversee the timely completion of deliverables required by the project plan
- Manage work stream schedule, and execute against identified scope using tools and processes in Jira and Smartsheet, according to standards developed and enforced by UWFT's Project Management Office Support and advise the work stream managers in the creation and implementation of all key business process deliverables
- Build effective working relationships with project team members and key stakeholders across the enterprise
- Review and contribute to key project deliverables, including work plan, status reports, test plans, training plans, risk mitigation plans, quality management plans, requirements management, change management plans, and communication plans
- Work closely with implementation consultants to support and execute against the identified methodology, providing input as needed to adjust approach based on business needs
Communication and Facilitation
- Facilitate issue resolution within and across work streams, anticipate and handle critical situations as they arise, and inform appropriate stakeholders
- Contribute to project status reports. Represent the team in communicating project status and issues to all levels at the university, as required
- Facilitate large and small group meetings with stakeholders and end users to elicit requirements and input; Develop highly effective relationships with stakeholders and end users to support eventual adoption of revised business processes
Other duties as required
Bachelor's degree in business administration, information systems, accounting, or related field
Minimum of six years of experience working on complex projects in a collaborative environment with multiple cultures and complex reporting structures
Experience with an ERP, enterprise application deployment, system development life-cycle processes, and/or business process improvement
Professional experience with operational process mapping and performance improvement
Professional experience with cost reduction planning and implementation
Experience as a collaborative and supportive member of a team working to accomplish project goals
Expertise with SharePoint, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation applications
Knowledge and experience preparing for and managing organizational change
Ability to communicate clearly, in writing and orally, to both technical and non-technical audiences; must have highly proficient facilitation skills
Experience communicating with senior management and technical staff on critical project issues
Ability to act as liaison between units, divisions, and other organizations to achieve objectives, and drive to solution, drawing together different points of view
Ability to deal with trade-offs, conflict, and change management in a collaborative and positive manner
Ability to utilize disciplined project management methodologies and tools, such as project management systems, issue tracking, risk management, and requirements management systems; ability to develop efficient project procedures and quality control methods
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Experience in a large university, medical center or other large enterprise
Experience participating in the implementation of a large enterprise resource planning (ERP) or similar software
Experience with functions in large complex organizations
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.