The Department of Urology has an outstanding opportunity for an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) or Physician Assistant (PA) to fill a full-time, 12 month per year, academic position at the Teaching Associate level without tenure. The anticipated start date for the position is late spring or summer 2020 .
The ARNP/PA is an integrated role which includes clinical, education and research components. This individual will be a member of an interdisciplinary team, collaborating with physicians to actively coordinate the care of patients undergoing treatment at the UW Medicine Men's Health Center. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing Urology services independently and in concert with appropriate privileges, including initial and ongoing assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patient's medical, physical and psychosocial status in the inpatient and outpatient settings. There will be an opportunity to interact and work with Residents and Fellows of these disciplines.
Patient care duties
- Provide advanced practice care within scope of practice for Urology inpatients and outpatients. - Order, initiate and perform testing appropriate to presenting complaints. - Perform comprehensive physical exams including focused Urology exam as appropriate. - Identify diagnoses based on history, test result interpretation and assessment. - Prescribe and/or institute treatment plans based on assessments and diagnostic tests. - Prescribe medications as needed. - Evaluate patient outcomes and adjust treatments accordingly. - Initiate consultation with Attending MD and Chief Resident as appropriate. - Admit patients to inpatient status as indicated. Discharge patients to home as indicated. - Perform effectively during emergency situations, using sound judgment and following established protocol. - Document assessment, findings, interventions, and outcomes as appropriate in patient medical record. - Teach patient and family as needed to manage or improve health status. - Coordinate/collaborate with other disciplines, health care providers, referring providers, health plans, etc., to meet patient needs. - Provide referrals to other health care providers as needed, e.g., medical specialty, social work, physical therapy, etc. - Lead or participate in team conferences as needed. - Complete appropriate billing and charge documents. - Demonstrate flexibility in responding to needs of clinic schedule and patient needs. - Conduct appropriate handoff to house staff for patients requiring admission - Perform minor surgical procedures including administration of local anesthesia, or perform other specialty procedures within scope of practice.
Standards of practice and performance
- Demonstrate accountability for the effectiveness of the service area and the organization, support the organizational and service area mission, philosophy, values and goals. - Participate in efforts to continuously improve quality of care. - Manage patient care through the efficient use of own time. - Communicate effectively with individuals and in-groups. - Demonstrate and promote a service and values based culture in the work environment. - Contribute to positive working relationships with members of the health care team. - Demonstrate accountability for own growth and competency (and provides opportunities that contribute to the growth and competency of others). - Is open to constructive feedback and integrates recommendations into practice. - Share expertise and information with others - Develop and maintain competency of self and others, keeping abreast of current research, changing practice patterns, and changing patient profiles. - Maintains current, active hospital medical staff credentialing and admitting privileges. - Responsibly follows cost-effective, evidence-based guidelines for practice. - Collaborate with physicians and other health care professionals in the specialty to address clinical practice issues and changes. - Develop and maintain relationships with clinical staff, clinical manager, clinical medical director, interdisciplinary patient care teams and other staff to ensure maximizing positive department and employee relationships. - Demonstrate and promote a service and values based culture in the work environment - Serve as a role model and resource to other staff - Participate in educational opportunities for medical students and residents.
- Current and valid state Registered Nurse Licensure or Licensure as a PA in Washington State
- Graduate Degree from an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program or graduate of an accredited PA program.
- Nationally certified ARNP or PA-C with DEA.
- Proven excellence working in a interdisciplinary collaborative team environment
- Effective interpersonal skills, leadership skills, and clinical expertise in the care of urology patients.
To be considered for this position, apply using the provided "Apply Now" link.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment and timeline, please contact:
University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.