This position routinely implements new techniques and modifies them to current research. The candidate is expected to monitors the progression of research projects through protocol implementation and data analysis. She/he may supervise undergraduate student, and participate directly in protocol development by staying up to date on new techniques through reading, data analysis and report generation. The candidate is also expected to order lab supplies and maintain records for spending and laboratory safety for annual review. Assist the principal investigator (Ashkar Lab) to efficiently complete laboratory tasks in the area of kidney stone disease, focused on interrogating kidney tissue using state-of-the-art imaging techniques and laser micro-dissection for use in downstream transcriptomics and proteomic analysis.
This position conducts research fairly independently, including protocol generation, implementation, optimization, and troubleshooting. Must be efficient at analyzing data to draw conclusions and determine next steps in research as well as perform statistical analysis. Functions on a daily basis without continual instruction or oversight. This position works closely with PI on research studies and follows the Standard Operating Procedures and Good Clinical Practices; scope is within the projects assigned. This position is instrumental in training the undergraduate student and teaching new techniques to members of other labs in addition to performing animal work.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assists the PI by independently conducting a wide range of complex experiments and techniques such as tissue processing sectioning, staining and imaging using multiple modalities such as confocal, and multiphoton fluorescence microscopy. Performs laser microdissection to isolate specific araes of the kidney. Performs several assays such as DNA/RNA/Protein extraction, Taqman real-time q-PCR and Immunohistochemistry.
* Generates protocols and optimizes new techniques (can be used as a resource to other lab personnel). Proposes and establishes new suitable protocols for research projects through scientific readings. Maintains knowledge of research project by attending seminars, scientific meetings, and readings. Keep accurate inventory of tissue and samples.
* Has a primary role in analyzing data (advanced imaging and "omics" type data), running statistical analysis, and determining next steps to address scientific questions. Assists in preparing figures and other completed research reports for publications and grant proposals. Presents research data to small groups (lab meetings, floor meetings, and DNA repair research conference, and cancer research day at IU).
* Has the primary responsibility of maintaining and initiating safety protocols required for laboratory procedures.
* Responsible for ordering and maintenance of laboratory equipment, organization of the lab.
* Directly oversees and trains undergraduate in lab (coordinate schedule, train for protocols and reagent preparation as needed, instruct on how to maintain lab safety, and answer questions as needed).
Master's degree in science; OR bachelor's degree in science and three years of research experience.
Experience with tissue handling, processing, sectioning and preparation for downstream assays, such as imaging and "omics" analysis. Experience in working with image files. Experience in integrative data analysis. Excellent communication skills. Good time management skills and extremely well organized. Collaborative skills to foster team work environment.
Degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology or cell biology/immunology. Experience in working with large imaging datasets and image analysis software, such as Image J.
Ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without an accommodation.
Salary Plan: PAE
Salary Grade: 3RS
Job Function: Research
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information .
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online . You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.
Founded in 1820, Indiana University is the state’s public university system, comprised of two core campuses—IU-Bloomington and IUPUI—and six regional campuses located throughout the state. Combined, the total student population is more than 114,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional school students. IU is one of the largest employers in the state, with over 20,000 faculty and staff. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. Diversity and inclusion remains a core commitment to IU’s mission to cultivate an educational environment that supports equal access, participation and representation on all of its campuses and that provides educational and career opportunities for all.