The basic purpose of work is to protect and safeguard the buildings and grounds of a state facility and the lives of its residents, staff, and general public. Performs related duties such as screening persons for identification, purpose of visit, or required authorization; operating two-way radios and/or base station address systems; locking or unlocking doors, gates, etc.; directing or controlling traffic; assessing road or parking lot conditions for property owned or under the control of the college to determine need for emergency snow removal or sanding; and maintaining records.
Summary of Duties:
- Make periodic rounds and security checks of buildings and grounds assigned - Assist in the evacuation of any campus building in emergency situations - Ability to become CPR certified and to provide first aid when needed - Ability to work assigned shift forty hours per week - Ability to interact with members of the public and college community - Responds to inquiries on such matters as travel routes, parking, etc. - Ability to handle stressful situations - Ability to communicate via radio and telephone - Ability to screen visitors, answer questions, and provide directions and information - Maintain awareness while on duty - Maintain an accurate written log - Ability to exercise sound judgment - Ability to maintain accountability of college property and facilities under their control - Ability to enforce college rules and regulations including the ability to handle situations regarding prohibited conduct - Ability to monitor CCTV and alarm systems - Ability to report criminal activity, suspicious persons on campus while making observations of assigned areas - Ability to follow written and verbal instructions in English - Must have valid Massachusetts' driver's license and must have a good driving record - Ability to provide the Chief with information regarding known mechanical defects, maintenance, and repairs of department vehicles - May require occasional driving of department transport vans - The ISO II will promote the College's commitment to collegiality and diversity by: • Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the College by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed. • Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information. • Maintaining an environment that is welcoming and inclusive to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
This is a 40 hour per week position. The Public Safety Department is open seven (7) days per week, 24 hours a day, year round. Officers may be required to work weekends and/or holidays. Also, may be required to perform occasional mandatory overtime assignments.
Institution Security Officers work in and around the grounds of the state facility; work alone; work outside in all weather conditions; are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; and are subjected to verbal and physical abuse in a job related setting; work in a high crime area; lift heavy objects or persons; work with people who are under physical or emotional stress; and work varied shifts.
*The official job description for this position is the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Classification Specification for the position of Administrative Assistant I. A copy of this specification can be obtained in the Human Resources Office
Applicants must have at least (A) six months of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in law enforcement, in a governmental police force or in work involving the protection or security of buildings, equipment or people as a major duty, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below:
I. An Associate's or higher degree with a major in police science, law enforcement or criminal justice may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of software programs including Microsoft Office, and e-mail.
- Basic knowledge, ability and willingness to learn software programs specific to the Public Safety Department.
- A High School diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to effectively interact with people of all backgrounds.
The candidates recommended for hire will be subject to a criminal record check, physical examination and drug screen and must successfully pass these prior to hire.
- Must possess a current and valid drivers license
About Massachusetts College of Art and Design
The five educational institutions that make up Colleges of the Fenway view diversity as a key component in the growth of our students' educational experience as well as our ongoing journey as professionals charged with maintaining the world class status of our institutions. By drawing from a wide cultural palette, we ensure that we have access to the full range of talent available. Through our respect for the vast array of backgrounds we create an environment that will help that talent grow. It is within an environment of respect that we are able to build and work toward our goals. Our goal is to create an atmosphere that values mutual respect. All Colleges of the Fenway members have policies and practices designed to safeguard our healthy environment as well as provide the support and access needed to do so. The Colleges of the Fenway are located in the heart of Boston?s academic, scientific and cultural communities and is within walking distance from landmarks such as the Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, Symphony Hall and world renowned medical institutions. Jobs at Emmanuel College: http://emmanuel.edu/About_Emmanuel/Employment.htmlJobs at Massachusetts College of Art and Desig...n: http://www.massart.edu/About_MassArt/Careers.htmlJobs at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: http://www.mcphs.edu/about-mcphs/careers-at-mcphsJobs at Simmons College: http://simmons.edu/overview/about/jobs/Jobs at Wentworth Institute of Technology: https://jobs.wit.edu/