As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The HMC Gift Shop has an outstanding opportunity for a full-time day shift RETAIL CLERK 2 to perform journey-level work in the ordering, receiving, sales, inventory, cash control, and/or customer service functions for a retail and/or service operation.
Under general supervision, perform retail financial record keeping and cash control duties in a retail and/or service operation.
GENERAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Order gift shop supplies such as sundries, balloons, floral and sodas.
• Handle charge sales.
• Receive, check, price and stock retail goods and supplies.
• Maintain stock inventory and gift shop records; make physical inventories of merchandise; advise supervisor as to changes in inventory levels and types of new retail merchandise.
• Provide friendly and efficient customer service. Assist customers in locating, selecting and purchasing various retail items.
• Accurately operate registers for sales, returns and exchanges; accurately handle cash transactions.
• Process phone orders for floral and gift items.
• Work with team members in a cooperative and supportive manner.
• Clean shelves, fixtures, and furnishings, maintain retail stock in attractive and orderly arrays;
• Participate in physical inventories; assist in receiving stock;
• Make deliveries to patients and staff.
• Perform opening and closing of Gift Shop according to Gift Shop policies and procedures.
• Assist in training new team members, work study students and volunteers.
• Follow all safety and security procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Gift Shop Manager and Lead Clerk.
• Duties may also include opening or closing Gift Shop on weekends and some clerical work.
As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
High school diploma or GED certificate, AND one year of experience in retail selling, cash register operation, general clerical work and/or financial record keeping. Six months of additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.