** This is a 75% part-time, continuing position. **
Overview Andersen Horticultural Library (AHL), located at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, is a reading and reference, non-circulating library. AHL is known for its Historic Seed & Nursery Catalog Collection and for the plant information resource tools it offers, notably Plant Information Online.
Primary Function The primary functions of this position are to manage the Andersen Horticultural Library’s Historic Seed & Nursery Catalog collection and database, coordinate and participate in catalog indexing and updating for the Plant Information Online database, direct the Library’s conservation efforts, supervise the work of some volunteers, and provide reference service.
1. PROVIDE REFERENCE AND INFORMATION SERVICES (40%) Provide reference and information assistance to library users and arboretum staff at the Andersen Horticultural Library reference desk, utilizing the knowledge of selected library and Minnesota Landscape Arboretum procedures, tools, and facilities. Answer in-person, telephone, and e-mail queries, referring more specialized queries to reference librarian, arboretum staff, or other expert.
2. MANAGE HISTORIC SEED & NURSERY CATALOG COLLECTIONS AND PARTS OF CURRENT CATALOG COLLECTION (35%) Identify possible additions to the collection (e.g., on eBay, CBHL listserv); purchase items; add items to database; coordinate shelving; ensure new catalogs get moved to historic collection once next issue is received; manage use of the collection by volunteers and staff (e.g., for scanning, shelving) and the public/researchers.
3. ASSIST IN UPDATING AND MAINTAINING AHL DATABASES (15%) Update and maintain MS-Access database of nursery firms, catalogs, and related information. Index nursery catalogs for Plant Information Online < plantinfo.umn.edu >, adding variety names and nurseries to the database, as needed.
4. SUPERVISE VOLUNTEERS / DIRECT AHL’S PRESERVATION EFFORTS (5%) Hire, train, and supervise volunteers who create archival enclosures, those who shelve and inventory seed & nursery catalogs, and others with duties related to this position. Identify items in collections that need repair, cleaning, enclosures, or other conservation work; arrange for conservation work to be done (e.g., ship items to conservator).
5. SUPPORT SERVICES AND SPECIAL PROJECTS (5%) Assist with unloading and moving book donations for book sale. With others, keep the library attractive, clean, and well-organized. Ensure prompt and accurate shelving, especially of seed & nursery catalogs. Monitor relevant equipment and supplies, ordering and replacing items as needed. Liaise with Arboretum and ULibraries facilities staff as needed.
Required Qualifications: • Five years relevant library experience. College education can be substituted for experience on a year for year basis up to three years. • Experience or coursework related to gardening, horticulture, or plant sciences. • Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. • Ability to work independently and to work effectively as a team member.
Preferred Qualifications: • Customer service experience. • Experience with financial accountability. • Familiarity with scientific plant names. • Considerable ability with data base searching. • Experience maintaining websites. • Experience working with rare and/or fragile materials.
Internal Number: 334553
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.